Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #33211
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
[ treading gently here... ] Holocaust survivors?? Now that this last generation is starting to tell their tales, lest all survivors disappear and the tale be forgot .... I'm feeling compelled to read as many survivor books as I can. Wow.
Yes... and no. Non-Aryans were locked up in camps many years before Hitler came into power. Most folks aren't really aware of this fact. Hitler just organized it to run more efficiently. Or the fact that under Hitler, 11,000,000 people were exterminated, not just the 6,000,000 Jews. But the Jews have a long history of being shut away in ghettos, being subject to pogrums, etc. Three of my four grandparents were tattooed, I was never able to actually get the stories behind them, but they did arrive in the US before Hitler came into power.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #33212
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just put my yard waste outside. It is pick up day.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #33213
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
Im about to clean up the house.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #33214
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yes... and no. Non-Aryans were locked up in camps many years before Hitler came into power. Most folks aren't really aware of this fact. Hitler just organized it to run more efficiently. Or the fact that under Hitler, 11,000,000 people were exterminated, not just the 6,000,000 Jews. But the Jews have a long history of being shut away in ghettos, being subject to pogrums, etc. Three of my four grandparents were tattooed, I was never able to actually get the stories behind them, but they did arrive in the US before Hitler came into power.

Stitchawl
Wow. I did know that not all prisoners were Jewish, but I didn't know that the lock-ups and the tattoing started even before Hitler.

I hope today's connectedness can help prevent the world from going there again. Sigh.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #33215
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow. I did know that not all prisoners were Jewish, but I didn't know that the lock-ups and the tattoing started even before Hitler.
Why do you suppose we have to 'raise your right hand' when swearing to the truth? Back in the old days, convicted criminals would have their right palms tattooed or branded. Showing a clear hand was proof that you were an honest person and could be trusted to testify... or so the story goes.

Jews were tattooed in ghettos from the late 1800's but were required to live in them much earlier. The term "ghetto" originated from the name of the Jewish quarter in Venice, established in 1516, in which the Venetian authorities compelled the city's Jews to live. Various officials, ranging from local municipal authorities to the Austrian Emperor Charles V, ordered the creation of ghettos for Jews in Frankfurt, Rome, Prague, and other cities in the 16th and 17th centuries.

As someone said... 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Stitchawl
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #33216
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Why do you suppose we have to 'raise your right hand' when swearing to the truth? Back in the old days, convicted criminals would have their right palms tattooed or branded. Showing a clear hand was proof that you were an honest person and could be trusted to testify... or so the story goes.
Again - wow. I didn't even know that there was a "usual" spot for these numbers. I've never seen one.
Quote:
Jews were tattooed in ghettos from the late 1800's but were required to live in them much earlier. The term "ghetto" originated from the name of the Jewish quarter in Venice, established in 1516, in which the Venetian authorities compelled the city's Jews to live. Various officials, ranging from local municipal authorities to the Austrian Emperor Charles V, ordered the creation of ghettos for Jews in Frankfurt, Rome, Prague, and other cities in the 16th and 17th centuries.
I guess I should be especially grateful for an upbringing which taught me to respect others, including and especially Jews. My Dad said that he'd have been honored to be one of God's first chosen people. (Christians also being chosen, after the Messiah's plan was revealed.) ((but I'm straying into a topic best left for the religion thread))
Quote:
As someone said... 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.'
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Stitchawl
I just finished reading a Bonhoefer biography too, as well as a bunch of survivor's tales. I do hope we all can pay attention, and not let that happen again.
Deb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #33217
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Again - wow. I didn't even know that there was a "usual" spot for these numbers. I've never seen one.
After a time, and I don't know when that was, the tattoos were used for formal record-keeping, rather than just 'marking,' and numbers used. From the early 1900's the prisoner were most commonly tattooed on the forearm. This was the norm for Nazi prison camps. You can do a Google Image search for [Holocaust Arm tattoos] and see that there were many differences, probably varying with the different camps.

Stitchawl
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #33218
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Into this heavy discussion, I feel a bit out-of-place mentioning that I'm washing clothes right now with half a dose of clothes-washing liquid and half a dose of dish-washing liquid. I didn't realize that we didn't have enough clothes washing liquid until after loaded the machine. I may have to add another spin cycle to get all the suds out.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #33219
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
At work right now. Trying to find trucks to bring my loads of frozen dinners from Arkansas to Calgary. What a PITA.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #33220
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just want to say I'm basking in the warmth of a newly restored central heating system .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #33221
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For the first time in three years my parents are on "holiday", from Friday until Monday. Today I'm on my own in the store, my sister kept me company for a while but since she doesn't know the difference between switch and a dimmer she isn't much help in the store. Luckily it wasn't too busy today.

Tomorrow a former Saturday employee is coming to help me out. We get along great, so I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

Tonight and tomorrow night my sister and I am going to watch films. Imanaged to get hold of the 1989 tv version of The Woman in Black.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #33222
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Packing some stuff for travel abroad, little bit at a time.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #33223
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a nice trip.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #33224
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Wishing a most joyous Darwin Day to all!

Happy Darwin Day Everybody!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #33225
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I just finished brushing Crystal's coat. I don't know who owned the dog before us, but I don't think she'd ever been brushed. When we got her, the vet spent about a half-hour cutting out all the knotted, tangled mess from her hair.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?