Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #211
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
could a version of this be developed for checking amazon prime lending and/or kindle unlimited collections please.
it would not need any login code, as I can browse both of those collctions at amazon with a not-signed-in browser.

I suppose a deluxe version would have you choose which amazon site, for when they roll both out internationally, but just being able to check on the .com site would be a good start.

I am very curious as to what of my existing calibre library is now available via KU, as that's a good test of how well their 600k books map onto my interests, but the thought of doing that check manually, one book or one author at a time, is off-putting
I too would love to see something like this for both Kindle Owners Library and Kindle Unlimited.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #212
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
could a version of this be developed for checking amazon prime lending and/or kindle unlimited collections please.
it would not need any login code, as I can browse both of those collctions at amazon with a not-signed-in browser.

I suppose a deluxe version would have you choose which amazon site, for when they roll both out internationally, but just being able to check on the .com site would be a good start.

I am very curious as to what of my existing calibre library is now available via KU, as that's a good test of how well their 600k books map onto my interests, but the thought of doing that check manually, one book or one author at a time, is off-putting
Probably, since it already does Kindle Owners Lending Library.

Perhaps jhowell could add support for the brand-new KU as well. It sounds reasonable and I vote for the idea.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #213
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I too would love to see something like this for both Kindle Owners Library and Kindle Unlimited.
The support for Kindle Owners' Lending Library in the plugin was broken by Amazon's changes to their website when they added Kindle Unlimited. I am testing a version of the plugin that fixes this and adds support for Kindle Unlimited. It should be ready in the next few days.

In my limited testing so far, using books of interest to me, there is a large overlap of books between the two collections. Only a small percentage is available in the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, but not in Kindle Unlimited. There are more books in KU but not KOLL.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #214
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think the prime lending aka KOLL, varies by country. My prime account is only for .uk and finding books that qualify is a hassle
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #215
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the prime lending aka KOLL, varies by country. My prime account is only for .uk and finding books that qualify is a hassle
Yes, the available Prime lending books vary by country. The plugin currently only handles Amazon Prime in the US. I was able to implement this only because I could come up with a search URL that would find prime books at amazon.com. I haven't been able to find an equivalent for any other Amazon website. If anyone knows of such a thing it would be helpful for improving the plugin.

Amazon has made it easy to do web searches for Kindle Unlimited books at amazon.com and hopefully they will do the same for Kindle Unlimited books at non-US sites, once they become available.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-20-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #216
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.15.0 - 23 July 2014

Changed both Amazon and Open Library to require the collection to be searched to be set as the library-id in the plugin configuration. For libraries configured using a previous release of the plugin, prime will be assumed for Amazon and inlibrary will be assumed for Open Library. Update your library configuration if something else is desired.

Added a menu choice, Check and repair book links, which will check the link identifiers for books in the calibre library and discovered books for problems. Any incorrect links will be listed with the option to correct them.

Users of previous versions of this plugin should use Check and repair book links prior to doing any new searches in order to migrate Amazon and Open Library links to be compatible with this plugin version.

Add support for Amazon Kindle Unlimited. (US only.)

Added provider Enki Library.

Fix support for Amazon Kindle Owner's Lending Library (US), which was broken by web site changes made by Amazon.

Remove the configuration option to search for purchasable books. This is replaced by the ability to configure the US Amazon store as a searchable "library".

Add a cache of library books details for faster results when searches for the same books are repeated from time to time.

Treat a failure to get a consistent set of results from Amazon as a warning, instead of an error, since this occurs frequently.

Use regular expression search for Select previously linked books in cases where using the default, sub-string, search method could result in incorrect books being selected.

Minor bug fixes.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #217
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so to search for kindle unlimited the user should replace the word "prime" with the word "unlimited" - in the library -ID column - there is no drop down menu ?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #218
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
so to search for kindle unlimited the user should replace the word "prime" with the word "unlimited" - in the library -ID column - there is no drop down menu ?
Yes. Use the word unlimited.

(It is on my to-do list to improve the configuration dialog.)

ETA: You can also have two separate entries in the configuration, one for prime and another for unlimited if you want to search both collections.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #219
cybmole
Wizard

unimpressed - with amazon that is:- I ran the plugin against the 900+ books in my calibre library that are NOT available at free library of philadelphia OR from my local UK library. It ran for over an hour - as 2 parallel jobs - & came back with no matches.

So, either I misconfigured it, or more likely, Amazon does not share my tastes!. I can't spot check it as I'm not in USA so am not allowed to take a months trial, but on this evidence it looks like I won't be needed to when it rolls out to UK!
I have library set to Amazon where it said "prime" i put "unlimited".

my other settings are to search for both EPUB and MOBI/Kindle matches, which is what I use for FLP.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #220
cybmole
Wizard

update - I think the search on KU is bugged,
I re-tested with a search for my Harry Potter books, which i have read are included in KU.
On a search for the 7 that I have it came back with no matches.

Re-searching for just 1st one ( for speed) at FLP gives a match:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (@FLP)

so why is the plugin not finding that in Amazon unlimited ?
Maybe others can test with some or all of their Harry Potter titles ?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #221
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
unimpressed - with amazon that is:- I ran the plugin against the 900+ books in my calibre library that are NOT available at free library of philadelphia OR from my local UK library. It ran for over an hour - as 2 parallel jobs - & came back with no matches.

So, either I misconfigured it, or more likely, Amazon does not share my tastes!. I can't spot check it as I'm not in USA so am not allowed to take a months trial, but on this evidence it looks like I won't be needed to when it rolls out to UK!
I have library set to Amazon where it said "prime" i put "unlimited".

my other settings are to search for both EPUB and MOBI/Kindle matches, which is what I use for FLP.
To configure the plugin for Amazon Unlimited create (or modify) a library entry with the following: Enabled (checked!!), Name (anything you want), Provider (Amazon), Library ID (unlimited).

You can verify that the plugin is working properly by creating some book entries in calibre for books known to be in Kindle Unlimited and then searching for them. Here are a few:

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

If you run a search for those with the plugin and it fails to find matches then something is wrong. In that case you could PM me or post here the log from the search, available using the "View Log" button in from the search results summary dialog.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #222
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

I found the bug. I introduced a problem with Kindle Unlimited search when I fixed something else. I will have a fix out within the hour.

Sorry!

Edit: Release 1.15.1 is now released.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-23-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #223
cybmole
Wizard

it seems to be working now - it found one of your test books above, OK.

but it seems to run more slowly on amazon than on Overdrive libraries ?
i just ran a new test selection: a wish list of 122 books that i have recommended for purchase at my local library.
it found 12 matches in KU but took 24 minutes to complete.

So only 10% of the books that my local will probably get around to buying anyway in the next year ( they have a pretty good record of slowly buying books that i put on their recommend list )

Speedwise, I go back & test the same 122 books but this time test only against my local library ( in case they have bought any recently! ) it is running much faster.... because it is searching a much smaller database or because amazon is slow ?

It finishes in 4 1/2 mins compared with 24 minutes for the Amazon search

Last edited by cybmole; 07-23-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #224
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
it seems to be working now - it found one of your test books above, OK.

but it seems to run more slowly on amazon than on Overdrive libraries ?
i just ran a new test selection: a wish list of 122 books that i have recommended for purchase at my local library.
it found 12 matches in KU but took 24 minutes to complete.
Amazon searches are significantly slower than OverDrive. Amazon requires pacing of search queries and is quick to block access when they are done too quickly. The plugin tries to stay within a reasonable rate, but even so I have found that Amazon will occasionally block queries from the plugin for minutes at a time if searches are done for a large number of books.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #225
cybmole
Wizard

thanks for quick feedback - I only run the plug in once every few weeks so I'm not fussed about how long it takes really. I reported it only in case there was another missed bug, or some non-optimal code.
I may run one mega check for KU books across my entire calibre library tomorrow, just to see what the % hits is - I would expect only 10% or so though from what I've read so far.
They claim 600k books in KU out of ~60M? kindle books on sale - which is ~10%

my own collection & tastes is skewed much more to old stuff than latest best sellers so that may work in my favour.

Tags
id=model, overdrive