Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
talios
talios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Strange page change behavior in 1.8

Given I didn't want to wait for a Whitcoulls update I went and downloaded the new Kobodesktop from kobobooks.com and upgraded my gen1 kobo to the new firmware.

Everything seems to be fine apart from....

1) VERY weird page turn semantics on the Kobo format book I'm reading, i.e. page turns from 5->6->7->8->5->6->4. Or something along those lines, it looks more like the the Kobo is reading the book database wrong as I also had "CHAPTER 46" in regular fonts in the middle of the screen

2) A LOT of dowloaded ePubs ( generated via Calibre ) are unable to be opened. Other epubs seem to open. When I try to open the Kobo just does't respond, it doesn't even LOOK like its trying to open ( and no "your device is not registered" messages for DRMd ePubs either ).

3) I see the blue light flashing when pages turn, I don't remember the kobo doing this before so I'm not sure if this is an indication of a problem, or just additional processing?
talios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There was a brief period of time, when the Calibre driver and Kobo changes did some odd things--including messing with the database. I believe there were two Calibre versions in the past month that were problematic. Corrupted databases (and their are reasons other than Calibre that can result in a Db can become corrupted) create all sorts of havoc with 1.8. The solution seems to be to replace the Db and various other things. Please see the installation post for more on that.

The flashing blue light does seem to be a processing thing. For some reason, after a few days, most of the flashing (except on page turns) went away on my reader. Initially, the light would flash repeatedly for chapter changes. I'm not seeing that happening any more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
talios

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There was a brief period of time, when the Calibre driver and Kobo changes did some odd things--including messing with the database. I believe there were two Calibre versions in the past month that were problematic. Corrupted databases (and their are reasons other than Calibre that can result in a Db can become corrupted) create all sorts of havoc with 1.8. The solution seems to be to replace the Db and various other things.
I did this just last week actually, replaced the corrupted database ( why oh why doesn't Kobo's software have this built in - would be handy, but then - there's much more I'd rather that app do than this ) and am using the newest Calibre, which now works with 1.8.

Will try another reset tho. I really should have waited for the Whitcoulls desktop app to upgrade ( tho I don't see that happening in the next month or two history follows suite ) as I can also no longer sync the locally purchased books ( why they're all separate apps I don't know, branded purposes just seems counter-productive ).
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi talios,

I had similar problems when I upgraded to 1.8 from the Kobo desktop when I had previously used the Aussie Borders desktop.

I think I have fixed it by using the SD card upgrade method which has also replaced the database.
I have reloaded some of my books, using either calibre or ADE. I am going to stay away from the Kobo or Borders desktop until the Aussie Borders one comes out.
Switching between different desktops corrupts your database so I think you may be better off waiting for the Whitcoulls desktop and then replace your datbase also.

Cheers

Last edited by Greenmantle; 01-16-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
talios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmantle View Post
Switching between different desktops corrupts your database so I think you may be better off waiting for the Whitcoulls desktop and then replace your datbase also.
Given the device is now effectively a brick ( joy of joys just before christmas! ) I don't think I have a choice do I
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Talios, I'm in NZ as well. I updated from the kobo desktop, but when I open the Whitcoulls desktop I get told there is an upgrade available. I'm not sure that it is 1.8 because I don't want to run it and stuff up my kobo, but could be worth looking at.

Last edited by kiwipippa; 12-19-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: correction to name
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
My post is on topic as per weird or different things happening with page turns, but totally unrelated to the OP...

What I have noticed on1.8.1 on page turns... normal page turns occur about the same speed as before, however, when you reach the end of a chapter, it takes an enormous amount of time to move ahead to the next chapter, almost like the unit is loading the entire chapter in memory instead of 1 page at a time.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDinNB View Post
My post is on topic as per weird or different things happening with page turns, but totally unrelated to the OP...

What I have noticed on1.8.1 on page turns... normal page turns occur about the same speed as before, however, when you reach the end of a chapter, it takes an enormous amount of time to move ahead to the next chapter, almost like the unit is loading the entire chapter in memory instead of 1 page at a time.

EDinNB
Yup. Books are rendered for display chapter by chapter so there's a bit of a lag as the kobo processes the next one. If the book has really large chapters the delay can indeed be quite noticeable. This is also why font re-sizes take a while.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is also an area in which the difference between the WiFi and original Kobo really is quite evident. WiFi Kobo is much faster. It's a hardware thing .
Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This is also an area in which the difference between the WiFi and original Kobo really is quite evident. WiFi Kobo is much faster. It's a hardware thing .
I'm guessing we won't see a lot of future updates for the original Kobo simply because there's a limit to what the hardware can do compared to the WiFi. I'm glad at least they got the basic features working well (such as syncing, deleting, newspapers, etc.). It finally does everything they initially promised it would do...and does it well. Too bad about the slow chapter load though, as it highlights the sluggishness of the device. But I'm not complainig...mine seems to be working perfectly now!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I'm guessing we won't see a lot of future updates for the original Kobo simply because there's a limit to what the hardware can do compared to the WiFi. I'm glad at least they got the basic features working well (such as syncing, deleting, newspapers, etc.). It finally does everything they initially promised it would do...and does it well. Too bad about the slow chapter load though, as it highlights the sluggishness of the device. But I'm not complainig...mine seems to be working perfectly now!
Outside of minor tweaks you may very well be right. As the devs explained to us, they're using every last byte of the 64MB they have to work with in the USB upgrade path.

FWIW, the chapter load is much better now than it was in the early betas.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
talios

You may find that this is the 1.7.5 desktop upgrade which came out about a month ago. I was so happy see an automated upgrade come down, then saddened it was only the desktop client ( which frankly, beyond being able to shop, is kinda horrible to use and pointless, tho the reader is handy ).

Actually - I take most of that back, the client is certainly acceptable - it's the store thats actually quite horrible, with limited (and broken) search, and a rather limited book selection.

I tend to buy my books via other outlets ( http://www.booksamillion.com/ being one of the better so far ).

Really hopeing 1.8.2 comes out here soon. I ended up bringing the kobo AND print copies of my books to read on holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Talios, I'm in NZ as well. I updated from the kobo desktop, but when I open the Whitcoulls desktop I get told there is an upgrade available. I'm not sure that it is 1.8 because I don't want to run it and stuff up my kobo, but could be worth looking at.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The one advantage to Kobo holding the updates for you guys is that you will not have to go through the 1.8.1 mess we did in Canada.When the firmware and desktop are released you will get the "fixed" version.