Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Sync between two Kobos

Hi everyone,

I have a question for the Kobo savvy amongst you.

Now that I have two Kobo ereaders, I was expecting to make use of the sync (between devices) feature. So the other day, I started reading a book bought at Kobo store (original kepub) on the Aura. Before leaving for work, I synchronized the Aura then the Mini and the book opened on the very same page I left it Note that I was somewhere in a chapter and that the screen sizes plus different fonts make it for much more "screen pages" on the Mini than on the Aura (something like 2,5 times more).
After that, I synchronized the Mini, then the Aura expecting to resume my reading on the latter. But it didn't work. And it haven't worked after either. Say I'm 33% through on the Mini and 25% through on the Aura. When synchronizing the Mini and after that the Aura, the percentages will remain 25% on the Aura.

Is there something else to do to update the reading progress? I am using different fonts on the two devices, can this be the reason?

Books on both ereaders are original kepub ones and I am logged into the same account on both devices.

Any suggestion is welcomed
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have exactly the same question. My mini will pick up where I left on the Aura, but my Aura never goes where I left on the mini...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After the first sync, neither of them is following the other. It's like they're not communicating anymore

Edit: I'm sorry it's happening to you, though it's good to know I'm not alone here
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I sync between a glo and an Aura and between both and the Android app. What I have noticed is that when you open the book on a device, you have to wait a bit before being offered the choice to go to the page that was last read on a different device/app. If you turn the page, it appears that you will not be offered that option.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
you have to wait a bit before being offered the choice to go to the page that was last read on a different device/app
Do you mean literally? (keep in mind I'm new to this )
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I mean that when you open a device, it will open to the page last read on that device, and after about 5-10 seconds (I haven't actually counted), you will get a message saying that it appears that the books has been read elsewhere and asking if you want to jump to that page.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yes, I mean that when you open a device, it will open to the page last read on that device, and after about 5-10 seconds (I haven't actually counted), you will get a message saying that it appears that the books has been read elsewhere and asking if you want to jump to that page.
Wow, that's neat. I'm going to try and let you know how it works
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It doesn't work if wiFi is not on when all of this bookmarking etc is happening. I have forgotten that I was reading outside away from wifi from time to time .
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard

Okay, that worked! So on both ereaders I kept WIFI on, even after the synchronization and when I opened the book on the Mini it went straight to the Aura last read page
Thank you Taming, I was obviously turning the WIFI off too soon. I'll try the other way around tonight just to make sure everything's fine.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great that your issue is resolved samhy. Mine is not, but since I am using the Mini a lot more, I guess I'll live with it for the time being. I still have other problems with the Aura, so I may end up having to reset it anyway (but I have lots of books on it, with bookmarks and such, and since I am not using a sd card this is going to be a major pain...)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
samhy
Wizard

It works both ways, as expected. Somehow I thought that the sync was enough, it didn't occur to me that I have to keep the WIFI on when opening the book. I don't see any prompt asking me to choose the current page or the updated one, though (but there's no need for it).
Thank you very much, Taming.

So, Aceflor, at one point the sync was working between the Mini and the Aura, then it stopped. Is that right? Do you use some pluggins or things that can be found in the tweaks thread?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
It works both ways, as expected. Somehow I thought that the sync was enough, it didn't occur to me that I have to keep the WIFI on when opening the book. I don't see any prompt asking me to choose the current page or the updated one, though (but there's no need for it).
Thank you very much, Taming.
You're welcome. I always get a prompt when I have read on the Android App and go back to a device. From the device to the app, it doesn't seem to happen. The prompt is nice in those rare cases when my two people might be reading the same book simultaneously.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard

Today I've seen the prompt on the Aura so it's not only happening if a tablet is involved.
So far, the sync doesn't work all the time, but hopefully I'm getting better at dealing with it
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From what I have seen, the reading position is updated to the server when the book is closed or the device goes to sleep or it is powered off while the book is open. Then it retrieves the position when you do a sync or open the book. I don't think it ever retrieves the position when you have the book open. It might check when the device is woken from sleep if a book is open, but I don't remember seeing this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post

So, Aceflor, at one point the sync was working between the Mini and the Aura, then it stopped. Is that right? Do you use some pluggins or things that can be found in the tweaks thread?
Well, I did not monitor it until I realized something was not working, but it seems to work only in one direction. The Mini picks up my reading where I left it on the Aura, but the other way around is not true.
I am not so concerned, because most of my books are sideloaded anyway, but it did annoy me in the last one I was reading, which I had bought at kobo.