Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Comparing B&N nook, Foxit eSlick, ECTACO jetBook-lite, iRex iLiad, eBookwise 1150 etc

Great video introduction and history of e-book readers (9 units)
Comparing B&N nook, Foxit eSlick, ECTACO jetBook-lite, iRex iLiad, eBookwise 1150, RCA REB 1100, other ebook readers with science-fiction writer Robert J. Sawyer.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Interesting the 2 he likes best are quite different.
He certainly had mostly good things to say about the Jetbook.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Interesting the 2 he likes best are quite different.
He certainly had mostly good things to say about the Jetbook.
yes, I like his comments about jetbook too.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
wowwww i've never seen so many readers concentrated into one area simulatenously.

Very cool commentary and with the jetBook LITE i never found a problem with the margins, plus i read with a smaller font so its very convenient for me.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Cool, i really like my jetBook Lite because of the simplicity and the price. The fast page turns and replaceable batteries are just a plus.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
ok this guy knows his e-readers!

I had never seen that formating issue with the nook before, it's shocking! All of those devices look very old school, I don't know why the people designing e-readers don't hire some hardware people who look at aesthetics of the devices more closely. Most of those apart from the nook and Jetbook look like the hardware was designed in the 80s.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
It was interesting to note that the background of the Jetbook was more of a silvery Gray than the light white of the Eink devices. Yet the contrast is so good that it really isn't hard on the eyes.

I'm afraid I'd never get used to the slow page turns and "negative" flash of the Eink after having a Jetbook. Certainly a great video to show the differences between the different devices. Should really be stickied someplace.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
It was interesting to note that the background of the Jetbook was more of a silvery Gray than the light white of the Eink devices. Yet the contrast is so good that it really isn't hard on the eyes.

I'm afraid I'd never get used to the slow page turns and "negative" flash of the Eink after having a Jetbook. Certainly a great video to show the differences between the different devices. Should really be stickied someplace.
yes, Robert mentioned several times that jetBook has a nice screen with good contrast. I think He compared it with e-ink devices.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Much appreciated! Seeing them all laid out like that helps me understand scale of device and screen size much better than numbers alone or seeing a single device in a hand-model's hand

p.s., I don't mind the font on the ebookwise device, though having to convert every book is a bit frustrating - but manageable
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Outstanding review

Outstanding review on his collection of readers. It really boosts his credibility when they are all laid out and he picks out the 2 he likes best.

I do note that, like me, he likes a SMALLER reader. For me, it's one I can put in a shirt pocket. They seem to be 3 3/4" wide. Bigger is better, they say, so you guys keep buying the monsters.

Ed
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I'm a bit surprised he has managed to be an e-reader owner for, what, nine years without having any of the Sony PRS machines (500, 505, etc). Without going into pros and cons, again, they were popular and got loads of publicity when they came out.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I agree with him completely concerning justification - the software needs to be able to handle hyphenation (which needs different tables for different languages). You can only do so much with spacing (and I don't think ADE even tries to vary the tracking). Given the American style of using em-dashes without spaces, it's absurd that these aren't recognised as word-breaks in ADE.

Unfortunately, giving up and forcing everything left-justified instead isn't the answer, since the lack of hyphenation can leave nasty gaps at the end of lines.

What really impressed me was how he remembered the exact day he'd bought each of these gadgets .
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post

What really impressed me was how he remembered the exact day he'd bought each of these gadgets .
Well, maybe He just keep his bank statements for last 10 years
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Datatraveler
Datatraveler began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook lite
Very interesting commentary I have used a PDA to read on since the dawn of time and I ordered the JBL today and I just started watching Flash Forward tonight..gotta be an omen that I made the right choice in the JBL
Datatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm thinking of picking up a Jetbook, with all the features that is has and only $115 I think it's a great deal. I do have a question though, the screen is monochromatic screen does generate enough light to read at night without an additional light like the EBWise or do you still need ambient light to read with this device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n nook, ebookwise 1150, ectaco jetbook-lite, foxit eslick, irex iliad