Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Bought an ipod touch

WoW!

I got interested in this after seeing what the ipad could do, and someone said the ipad was just an oversized ipod touch.

I have downloaded both kindle and stanza software, but I can't work out how to get the book from my computer onto the ipod...

Can someone help?

Thanks
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations, lene, on your new ipod touch!

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue about how to help. I'm sure there are many members with experience that will jump in soon to help.

Have fun with your new toy.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
With the kindle app you can go to your amazon.com account / manage your kindle and download content to your iPod

With Stanza Upload drm free ebooks to:
http://m.bookworm.oreilly.com/

that's the easiest method I'm aware of. I'm sure other people will give you tips

the iPod touch is a great device and I use it for most of my Internet browsing and email. I also like the Amazon mobile app and eBay mobile.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have Wifi.... (getting that on Monday).. Went to McDonald's today for lunch to register the kindle application.

Are there other ways of getting personal content on the ipod than using WiFi?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi Lene - I think you are restricted to downlading books wirelessly at least for the Kindle app.

For the Stanza app you can use the site I mentioned or I also found this info:

Can I download a book directly from a web site?
Provided the book is in the ePub format (which will typically end with an ".epub" string), you can download a book at a URL by selecting the tools icon from the library view and tapping "Download Book at URL", and then entering the complete URL into the field. Alternately, if a web site has the link to an .epub file in the form of "epub://www.somesite.com/book.epub", then Safari on the iPhone will automatically launch Stanza and download the book.

So basically you need an Internet connection it seems.

Hope someone else knows more than I do!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard

Yes, it looks like I have to wait till I get my new modem on Monday...

I'm really thrilled with the Ipod... I have been using palmZire72 for 5-6 years, and loved it, but it's getting a bit old...

I'll just have to be happy checking out applications...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
@lene If you have a laptop with wireless built-in, you should be able to create an ad-hoc network and share books using stanza desktop without a wireless modem or router.

Let me know if this is an option and I'll find a good tutorial on how to set it up.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
WoW!

I got interested in this after seeing what the ipad could do, and someone said the ipad was just an oversized ipod touch.

I have downloaded both kindle and stanza software, but I can't work out how to get the book from my computer onto the ipod...

Can someone help?

Thanks
I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the iPod Touch once you've got your head around how everything works, Lene.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Your problems will be over when you get wifi. Then your touch will work just like a Kindle with Amazon (well except for the 3g part)...

For stanza just do the follow (first part you only have to do once if you leave "start server on startup" checked. So when you get your wifi do this:

1. Open Calibre and open the "Preferences" tab.
2. Click on the "Content Server" option.
3. Click "Start server", and if you want "start server on startup"
4.In Stanza on your iPhone, go to the "Get Books" tab.
5.Open the "Shared" tab
6. In a moment you will see the "Books in Calibre" option.
7. Open it, and there are all the books in your calibre library ready to send to your iPhone/or iPod Touch.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Thanks
There are several ways you can do this. One (which I haven't tried myself but is so well laid out by PennyPie that I'm sure even I could get it to work) is detailed at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72276

I think that will take you to it, but otherwise, look in this subforum for

EZ - Uploading Books To iPhone Stanza

Several other methods are set out at

http://www.lexcycle.com/faq#3n619
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I don't have Wifi.... (getting that on Monday).. Went to McDonald's today for lunch to register the kindle application.

Are there other ways of getting personal content on the ipod than using WiFi?
If you put it in the iTunes content box, it will automatically synch with your tOuch when you hook it up physically to your computer.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
There are several ways you can do this. One (which I haven't tried myself but is so well laid out by PennyPie that I'm sure even I could get it to work) is detailed at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72276

I think that will take you to it, but otherwise, look in this subforum for

EZ - Uploading Books To iPhone Stanza

Several other methods are set out at

http://www.lexcycle.com/faq#3n619
None of these methods will work since she doesn't have wi-fi yet. The one method stanza listed which didn't require wi-fi of some sort has been removed in version 2.1 of stanza because apple forced them to.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
None of these methods will work since she doesn't have wi-fi yet. The one method stanza listed which didn't require wi-fi of some sort has been removed in version 2.1 of stanza because apple forced them to.
So if you don't have wi-fi, there's no point in getting an iPod Touch?

I live in woop-woop. Mobile reception is dicey.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
You can connect to a computer and move things by iTunes.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
If you have a mac, I think you can set up your mac as, in effect, a wifi hot spot.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...6/en/8339.html

If I'm right about this, Stanza should work with it.

No doubt something similar can be done on one of those other kind of computers. Might need to buy a wireless router, though.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote