Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
MobileRead's fictional members

I was trying to explain MobileRead's fictional members to someone, and I realized that I don't know where some of them came from.

Where did Hugo and Lefty make their first appearance?

What about Adrian?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hugo and lefty ? the smart socks ? that's a good question...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you know, maybe we *should* start a wiki page for this sort of thing.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm just very impressed Nate got as far as needing to go back to where they came from! I normally get as far as mentioning MR and the listener goes "oh, it's a forum thing" and looks at me as if I'm crazy and it's contagious
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I'm just very impressed Nate got as far as needing to go back to where they came from! I normally get as far as mentioning MR and the listener goes "oh, it's a forum thing" and looks at me as if I'm crazy and it's contagious
(but aren't you crazy ?)

that's a good question actually, how exactly did this come up, nate ?
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(but aren't you crazy ?)

I am, but regrettably it doesn't seem to be contagious...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Searched through all the posts by Marc for the word Adrian. Here are the first 3 posts:

1st occurrence
2nd occurrence
3rd occurrence
etc...
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I am, but regrettably it doesn't seem to be contagious...
keep working at it. i'm sure you can figure something out.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wait, I thought Nate was a fictional member. You mean he's not?!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(but aren't you crazy ?)

I was trying to explain the joke I played on you today. And then I had to explain why MR has fictional members (which is generally when people try to put a large piece of furniture between me and them).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wait, I thought Nate was a fictional member. You mean he's not?!

That is a very good question. You are not the first one to ask that question. Many have asked it before. Many have also asked if Marc is real (or Marcus Aurelius). Some even wonder if Steve Jordan is simply the pen name of an alien from planet Zog or perhaps a very advanced book writing AI. So you see VR, you are not alone in questioning if Nate is real. So let's get to the real Nate of the problem.

Now dismissing those who claim that your "pet human" is simply a bacon overdose delusion, I can honestly tell you that I don't know.

I met Nate at the Washington, DC Meet-up. He walks, talks, eats food, and has a very large collection of reading devices. Additionally, according to the English language version of Wikipedia "Nate the Great is the screen name of a moderator at MobileRead"

I also met a carbon life form that evening that said he was Steve Jordan and looked like his pictures on the web site SteveJordanBooks.com.

As for Marc, well Adrian says he's real and has something to do with a parking meter. What more proof would you need?

RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

That is a very good question. You are not the first one to ask that question. Many have asked it before. Many have also asked if Marc is real (or Marcus Aurelius). Some even wonder if Steve Jordan is simply the pen name of an alien from planet Zog or perhaps a very advanced book writing AI. So you see VR, you are not alone in questioning if Nate is real. So let's get to the real Nate of the problem.

Now dismissing those who claim that your "pet human" is simply a bacon overdose delusion, I can honestly tell you that I don't know.

I met Nate at the Washington, DC Meet-up. He walks, talks, eats food, and has a very large collection of reading devices. Additionally, according to the English language version of Wikipedia "Nate the Great is the screen name of a moderator at MobileRead"

I also met a carbon life form that evening that said he was Steve Jordan and looked like his pictures on the web site SteveJordanBooks.com.

As for Marc, well Adrian says he's real and has something to do with a parking meter. What more proof would you need?

Okay, so you can vouch for all of them, but who can vouch for you ?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Okay, so you can vouch for all of them, but who can vouch for you ?
Me? Have you already forgotten me? Do you not remember our last night in Lisbon (or was it Poughkeepsie), our sad sweet parting, that final kiss, the trace of your blue lipstick on my collar....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
When did the squid first appear on MR and who started it?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Oh wait, those are fictional characters? And here I was, having conversations with them...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian, biggles, fictional characters, hugo and lefty, laddy at the door, llama llove, llounge llamas, origins, pirate ninja squirrels, psockpuppet, red, snacker of nations, squirrels, the squid, unutterable silliness, zany carter deluxe, zcd