Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Aura with firmware 2.8.1 frozen after factory reset

Yesterday I tried to power on my Aura, but nothing happened. The power slider seemed to be unresponsive. After plugging the device to the usb-port it restarted . I tried to open a book, but nothing happened, the screen seemed to be frozen again. Plugging the device out and in again made the Aura reboot. After I had tried this several times, I checked if Calibre would recognize the device. It did and so I applied one new book to my Aura.

After safely removing the device from my mac, nothing happened, the screen remains unchanged. Again I plugged the device in, it rebooted and showed the picture below (Aura.jpg).

Then I decided to do a factory reset via the menu. The reset process started and got stuck in the restoring screen, 2 bars from 5 (Aura2.jpg). The screen is frozen now. I tried every known reset procedure multiple times, each while connected to the mac or connected to a power-plug or even disconnected. I repeated this after having charged the device over night (though the battery has been at 90%) with no effect. I even used different usb-cables.

The LED seems responsive, but only when connected to a power source. Then the LED shows a white or blueish light, when I push the power slider. So I assumed that the device might have a frozen screen, but i could still do a factory reset from memory. But this leads to nothing.

I would open the device to check if there is something wrong with the uSD card, but that would ruin my warranty, the device is only 2 months old.

You've been very helpful in the past, maybe someone has an advice if there is anything left what I might check.

I hope I could have made myself clear, because English is not my native language. Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	109027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura2.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	109028  
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Booboo4444
Booboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipseBooboo4444 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, iPad mini
An unfortunate coincidence but I have the same issue. My touch screen is completely unresponsive but it did not coincide with update. It simply froze and would not "unfreeze" after both types of resets. Cannot select English as language. I have contacted Kobo and am waiting on their response. Also, Kobo desktop no longer recognizes the device. Slightly miffed with the Aura because I really liked it, especially compared to old Kobo Touch.
Booboo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
@trek;

Do you have an old copy of the database "KoboReader.sqlite" that you could use to replace what you have now?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Try the other kind of factory reset. Slide the power switch and hold it on for about 20 seconds. Release it. Now press the light button and pull the power switch again, continuing to hold the light button down until you can see that the factory reset is happening.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
@trek;

Do you have an old copy of the database "KoboReader.sqlite" that you could use to replace what you have now?

Luck;
Ken
Unfortunately the Aura is not recognized by the computer anymore, so I am not able to replace the database, Ken.

@taming: I tried the other way of factory reset, but to no avail. The screen stays frozen. But thank you all the same for your help!

I decided to send the Aura back to the store, hoping they will be able to fix it.
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Did you try leaving it plugged into a charger for an extended period of time? (I know it's too late now for that option).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Did you try leaving it plugged into a charger for an extended period of time? (I know it's too late now for that option).
I did charge it over night, Peter. Do you think I should have charged it a longer period of time?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Yesterday I tried to power on my Aura, but nothing happened. The power slider seemed to be unresponsive. After plugging the device to the usb-port it restarted . I tried to open a book, but nothing happened, the screen seemed to be frozen again. Plugging the device out and in again made the Aura reboot. After I had tried this several times, I checked if Calibre would recognize the device. It did and so I applied one new book to my Aura.

After safely removing the device from my mac, nothing happened, the screen remains unchanged. Again I plugged the device in, it rebooted and showed the picture below (Aura.jpg).

Then I decided to do a factory reset via the menu. The reset process started and got stuck in the restoring screen, 2 bars from 5 (Aura2.jpg). The screen is frozen now. I tried every known reset procedure multiple times, each while connected to the mac or connected to a power-plug or even disconnected. I repeated this after having charged the device over night (though the battery has been at 90%) with no effect. I even used different usb-cables.

The LED seems responsive, but only when connected to a power source. Then the LED shows a white or blueish light, when I push the power slider. So I assumed that the device might have a frozen screen, but i could still do a factory reset from memory. But this leads to nothing.

I would open the device to check if there is something wrong with the uSD card, but that would ruin my warranty, the device is only 2 months old.

You've been very helpful in the past, maybe someone has an advice if there is anything left what I might check.

I hope I could have made myself clear, because English is not my native language. Thank you in advance
Do a complete pin hole reset. This will format the main memory and bring it back to the Factory condition and will now allow your device to be recognized. Your problem is most likely a corrupted firmware update and this will fix your issue.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Do a complete pin hole reset. This will format the main memory and bring it back to the Factory condition and will now allow your device to be recognized. Your problem is most likely a corrupted firmware update and this will fix your issue.

regards

Jack
I also tried the pin hole reset, but nothing happened. The screen remained frozen, the device unrecognized. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I also tried the pin hole reset, but nothing happened. The screen remained frozen, the device unrecognized. Thanks anyway!
Sorry I meant to say pin hole reset while holding the glo light down.

This will result in a factory reset. Bring it back to store bought condition
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Sorry I meant to say pin hole reset while holding the glo light down.

This will result in a factory reset. Bring it back to store bought condition
I really tried this also, Jack! I tried this while the device was connected with the computer, I also tried this while the device was not connected. But sadly nothing happened. The device stayed unresponsive.