Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Dcubed
Dcubed began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, hopefully
Best pdf eader for iPad3?

Hello, I am planning on getting an iPad 3 this summer, when I am home again. I want to read Google Books and Internet Archives pdf files (I read a lot of Victorian era books and magazines and only pdf seems to do a good job of preserving the original look).

What is the best pdf reader for the retina display? I am fine with a paid app since this is one of my reasons for getting an iPad.

Also, this will be my first Apple product ever - how easy is it to get files onto the iPad? I have 2200 books on my bookshelves in Google Books.
Dcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
GoodReader for iPad. There are quite a few reviews here. It also lets you upload to it with a computer's web browser, or use its own built in browser to download from web pages or online storage sites like Box or Dropbox.

Edit: damned iPad autocorrect is often useless.

Last edited by Haesslich; 04-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
GoodReader for iPad.
Absolutely, GoodReader is the best.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Another vote for GoodReader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Dcubed

Great! I had read some good reviews of Good Reader, but nothing that mentioned the retina display. So, i thought I'd ask here, with fellow readers

So, Good Reader it is. Thank you all. Is Dropbox easy to use? I've heard a lot about it, but haven't ever used it. I've also thought about getting one of those wi-fi hard drives like Wi-drive.
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
You can always get the free PDF reader from Adobe too.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely Goodreader. Superb app. Well worth the very modest price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Goodreader is a very good app, though I have to admit I use it mostly for file management myself. Apple's iBooks seems to be pretty good at managing pdf files, if you don't need to annotate them. But if you want to import all your 2200 books, you'll need to organize them in folders I suppose, and GoodReader would be better for that.

To get books into iBooks, you have to use iTunes I think, the simplest way is to add them to your books in iTunes and synchronize them. GoodReader has more options, though I don't think you can download directly from Google Books. Dropbox is the easiest way to get files on the iPad, many apps support it, including GoodReader.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcubed View Post
Great! I had read some good reviews of Good Reader, but nothing that mentioned the retina display. So, i thought I'd ask here, with fellow readers

So, Good Reader it is. Thank you all. Is Dropbox easy to use? I've heard a lot about it, but haven't ever used it. I've also thought about getting one of those wi-fi hard drives like Wi-drive.
The most recent update for GoodReader was to add Retina support. Dropbox is pretty easy to use - GoodReader only needs your name and password to log in as it's already got the settings to go online. It also works with SugarSync, or WebDAV.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Not that you need another vote to get Goodreader, but, Goodreader

I use the ssh option to sync a set of folders on my mac with it. Anytime I download a new paper, just have to hit sync. The annotation support is handy on occasion too.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Dcubed

Whoo-hoo an overwhelming vote of confidence for Goodreader! I was leaning towards it, but wanted to make sure. It'll be my very first app that I get when I get my iPad this summer.

I'll have to research Dropbox, SugarSync and others. I have only a vague idea of what they do since I've only used PC software. I don't even have an iTunes account yet .
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Dropbox and SugarSync are services that you can use to store your files on the cloud so that you can retrieve them from any location and device with an Internet connection. They do what iCloud should do. Dropbox is the most popular, so most apps have a dropbox integration.

I don't know about others, but for me the one big problem with iOS is how it won't give you access to your files to do as you want and exchange between apps. To open a file from an app in another app, you have to use the "open in" feature, and that has to be supported by both apps (plus it duplicates the file). The frustrations are endless, but GoodReader, with dropbox or another cloud service, can help some
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I use Goodreader but also have been know to dabble with Cloudreader which I also really like for the way it renders .pdf files.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have to say, iAnnotate edges out Goodreader as my favorite.

It loads PDF's faster, offers smooth vertical scrolling, and has more intuitive, expansive annotation tools. It also syncs with Dropbox and other cloud services in an easy fashion.

Goodreader can't even display continuous flow across pages when vertical scrolling! And iAnnotate is "best in class" in terms of loading PDF's FAST.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I have to say, iAnnotate edges out Goodreader as my favorite.

It loads PDF's faster, offers smooth vertical scrolling, and has more intuitive, expansive annotation tools. It also syncs with Dropbox and other cloud services in an easy fashion.

Goodreader can't even display continuous flow across pages when vertical scrolling! And iAnnotate is "best in class" in terms of loading PDF's FAST.
Yes, that's the only thing in iAnnotate wins GoodReader, vertical scrolling.

GoodReade wins in all other, including open ANY PDF does not matter its size (iA crashes on some big ones), and does not crashes when downloading files, and does not crashes when reading files, does not block...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote