Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #46
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Duh. The main ereaders haven't used a capacitive touch screen in three years. The IR screen was introduced by Sony three years ago! The reviewer clearly doesn't have a clue.
The new Kindle switched from IR to capacitive, which is new, not from capacitive to IR.

Also, AFAIK the pre-IR touch eReaders had no capacitive, but a resistive touchscreen.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #47
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
You can check the Mobileread users reviews of PW in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192526
There are some not really that impressed...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #48
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think this is a reviewer to avoid. I bought a Kindle PW for my mother as a gift. It is pretty good for her. There are no slots to add an SD card. The limited choice of fonts doesn't help those with vision problems. The light decreases contrast, which is a problem for some (me), while the Nook does not. The casing is slippery - almost requiring you to buy a case just to hold on to the sucker and not drop it. I'm not saying this device sucks. So far, seems to be a good product. But it certainly does NOT meet everybody's needs nor is it necessarily the best product out there.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
BobDyl
BobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I posted this in another thread but, in short, I think the capacitative layer does degrade the quality in a specific way: When I compare my PW to my KT side by side (light off on the PW), the text on the KT is both crisper and somehow "closer" - it's hard to describe but the KT text looks printed on the screen while the PW text sits under the surface. Also I think the fonts for the KT have been better optimized. This I hope can be fixed with a firmware update on the PW.

Last edited by BobDyl; 10-04-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarity
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm not saying this device sucks. So far, seems to be a good product. But it certainly does NOT meet everybody's needs nor is it necessarily the best product out there.
This can be said of any device out there, that's why it's nice to have choices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #51
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Yea after I spent an hour putting all my books into Collections, it's great. But that's not a PW problem, it's a Kindle Touch and Beyond problem. I'm hoping someone jailbreaks it soon.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #52
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think this is a reviewer to avoid. I bought a Kindle PW for my mother as a gift. It is pretty good for her. There are no slots to add an SD card. The limited choice of fonts doesn't help those with vision problems. The light decreases contrast, which is a problem for some (me), while the Nook does not. The casing is slippery - almost requiring you to buy a case just to hold on to the sucker and not drop it. I'm not saying this device sucks. So far, seems to be a good product. But it certainly does NOT meet everybody's needs nor is it necessarily the best product out there.
What? The nook glow is faded as all get out.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
The new Kindle switched from IR to capacitive, which is new, not from capacitive to IR.

Also, AFAIK the pre-IR touch eReaders had no capacitive, but a resistive touchscreen.
And Entourage eDGe, which had a Wacom screen (requires stylus).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #54
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
By the way, the tragic flaw mentioned in the review sounds pretty fatal to me.
You can also view it in landscape mode, which is what I have been doing to get around the thin bezel issue. Not everyone will like that, though, but works great for me. I like using the PW in landscape much more than I did the KK since I don't have to try to press the buttons to advance pages, it's the same motion now for both landscape and portrait.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #55
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I had the Kobo Touch but it was buggie. They kept trying to get the FW to work right, but only made it worse. So I returned it. I think outside of Canada they don't have much of a following. I certainly don't consider them a major player.
Kobo is a major player internationally, not just in Canada. You're right that they're #1 in Canada (47% of the market there, Kindle only 23%), but Kobo's also reportedly #1 in France. Kobo's #2 in Australia and New Zealand (behind Sony, and ahead of Kindle, in both cases). Recent partnerships in the UK, the Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, and Brazil have raised Kobo's profile in those countries, and Rakuten is pushing Kobo aggressively in Japan now (a market Kindle has yet to successfully enter).

There are a lot of markets that Kobo is ahead of Kindle now, and the list continues to grow with Kobo's new partnerships. Kobo's strategy is to partner with major brick-and-mortar chains, rather than try to drive them out of business as Amazon is trying to do, which is winning Kobo allies all over. The U.S. market remains tough for them, though, no question, since with the closing of Borders there now is no major unaligned chain to work with. It'll be interesting to see if working with independent U.S. bookstores starting in 2013 nets Kobo dividends in that market or not.

Whether you see Kobo as a major player or not, the industry does.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #56
LuvDrafts
LuvDrafts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
I thought someone posted here that you could turn light off by holding down minus - sign on light setting page?

Other forums are saying light does not turn off.
LuvDrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #57
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDrafts View Post
I thought someone posted here that you could turn light off by holding down minus - sign on light setting page?

Other forums are saying light does not turn off.
I have read that too, but if you try it and look closely, you can tell it's still on.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Kobo is a major player internationally, not just in Canada. You're right that they're #1 in Canada (47% of the market there, Kindle only 23%), but Kobo's also reportedly #1 in France. Kobo's #2 in Australia and New Zealand (behind Sony, and ahead of Kindle, in both cases). Recent partnerships in the UK, the Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, and Brazil have raised Kobo's profile in those countries, and Rakuten is pushing Kobo aggressively in Japan now (a market Kindle has yet to successfully enter).

There are a lot of markets that Kobo is ahead of Kindle now, and the list continues to grow with Kobo's new partnerships. Kobo's strategy is to partner with major brick-and-mortar chains, rather than try to drive them out of business as Amazon is trying to do, which is winning Kobo allies all over. The U.S. market remains tough for them, though, no question, since with the closing of Borders there now is no major unaligned chain to work with. It'll be interesting to see if working with independent U.S. bookstores starting in 2013 nets Kobo dividends in that market or not.

Whether you see Kobo as a major player or not, the industry does.
I find the partnerships with B&M stores baffling (including the ones that Google, Amazon and B&N have done). What is in it for the stores, apart from a small profit on the device? People who try digital reading LIKE it and they make fewer visits to bookstores and buy fewer print books (or at least this appears to be the trend). I'm guessing it involves a commission on ebook sales for the lifespan of the device, but it is difficult to imagine that income could replace regular book sale profits.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #59
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I have read that too, but if you try it and look closely, you can tell it's still on.
Yes it does stay on. I turn it all the way down, then hold the minus button for 5 secs for good measure. I then take it into my closet. The screen glows and looking down the bottom you can see the lights.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

It's actually bright enough to read when turned down all the way (no ambient light), at least on my PW.