Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
nz_Fuzzy
nz_Fuzzy began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Desire, Kindle
Unhappy HELP? Won't update/install

Hi

Had been using an older version of Calibre for a while and everything was OK.

Went back to it to update my e-reader and decided to download the latest update. It downloads and runs fine but once finished I am unable to access Calibre.

Have tried a couple of times since then. Completely uninstalled and tried deleting the C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\calibre and strating from scratch - still no joy.

When I try and access Calibre via the desktop shortcut I am getting a generic "page" looking icon instead of the Calibre icon and it tells me that the shortcut no longer exists.

When I try via the Start Menu / Calibre E-book management the same icons (or lack thereof) are showing. Although the "get involved" and "User manual" icons are present and active the others aren't.

How can I get my Calibre running again?

Thanks in advance

Am running a Vista based laptop with AVG Free.

Damian
nz_Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
I've never had troubles like this on my Vista laptop with AVG. I understand that if you're updating from about version 0.6, you should uninstall Calibre, then run the installer for the new version. Try that, maybe?
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
first uninstall calibre, then delete the folders (if they exists) C:\Program Files\Calibre and C:\Program Files\Calibre2. Now re-install and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
nz_Fuzzy

Question

Thanks Kovid.

Unfortunately I have tried this a number of times with no luck.
Have just tried again and have ended up with the "shortcut has been changed or moved" message. I attempted to have Calibre start automatically from the install wizard.

calibre-debug -g
results in 'calibre-debug -g' is not recognized an an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

It is now showing in the startup menu but as previously the calibre icon has been replaced with a generic "page" that doesn't do anything - missing shortcut as above.

Searching for files -
C:/Program Files/Calibre2 -- has been created
C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\calibre -- does not exist.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Maybe you need to try run as Administrator when installing, though I don't think I did.

It can be very puzzling.... I tried to install Aspell as part of Notepad++ and it would just not work. I tried run as Administrator and all of sudden it worked just fine.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
nz_Fuzzy

No option to "Run as Administrator" from installer package.
Install. Repair. Unistall. Scan...
Repair doesn't seem to have any effect either.

Have managed to get 0.7.24 to run on my old desktop but this system is very slow and I don't usually use it for my downloading. When trying to update to 0.7.28 on the desktop I get an unable to complete installation message. Fortunately it hasn't killed the older version.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
nz_Fuzzy

Question UAC Problem

Hi

Have decided to try again and get Calibre running on my laptop as the old desktop is infuriating.

From further reading and experimentation is would seem this is a UAC problem.

Calibre is installed but won't open - the proper Calibre icon is not showing on my desktop.
now tells me that I don't have enough permission - despite being the administrator!?

If I turn UAC "off" then restart my computer the icon shows properly and calibre opens and runs as it should.
As soon as I turn the UAC back on the icon disable and I am unable to start Calibre from the icon or the .exe in the program files folder (the icon here also becomes disabled)

Any ideas??
Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz_Fuzzy View Post
If I turn UAC "off" then restart my computer the icon shows properly and calibre opens and runs as it should.
As soon as I turn the UAC back on the icon disable and I am unable to start Calibre from the icon or the .exe in the program files folder (the icon here also becomes disabled)
I don't have Vista but a quick Google search turned up UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 which should allow you to set Calibre up with a trusted shortcut (quick overview).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
nz_Fuzzy

Thumbs up THANKYOU !

Not sure why but couldn't get the UAC Trust Shortcut to work either...

However at least I now have an idea of what I'm trying to achieve.
A bit more googling found a way around UAC by creating a scheduled task
Calibre is now happily running on my laptop

Thanks again

Last edited by nz_Fuzzy; 02-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.