Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Swanson, David: Iraq War Among World's Worst Events, v1 27 Mar 2013

To mark the tenth anniversary of the invasion of Iraq David Swanson put up a long essay on his website at http://warisacrime.org/iraq, and has given me permission to turn it into an ebook.

'At 10 years since the launch of Operation Iraqi Liberation (to use the original name with the appropriate acronym, OIL) and over 22 years since Operation Desert Storm, there is little evidence that any significant number of people in the United States have a realistic idea of what our government has done to the people of Iraq, or of how these actions compare to other horrors of world history. A majority of Americans believe the war since 2003 has hurt the United States but benefitted Iraq. A plurality of Americans believe, not only that Iraqis should be grateful, but that Iraqis are in fact grateful... A sanitized version of the war and how it started is now in many of our school text books. It is not too late for us to correct the record, or to make reparations. We can better work for an actual reduction in war making and the prevention of new wars, if we accurately understand what past wars have involved.'

The ebook is packed with evidence as endnotes and direct links.

29 March: A friend of mine has found two minor typos. I deleted the old version and uploaded a corrected version.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Iraq War Among World's Worst Events - David Swanson.mobi (567.0 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-29-2013 at 03:01 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know how it affected others but the 1st conflict (Desert Storm) had a profound effect on one of my cousins. He was never the same afterwards (or so I heard later) and is no longer with us as a result.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't know how it affected others but the 1st conflict (Desert Storm) had a profound effect on one of my cousins. He was never the same afterwards (or so I heard later) and is no longer with us as a result.
Yes, of course you're right; the invasion has had a devastating effect on many of those who served in Iraq, just as being conscripted to Vietnam had a devastating effect on one of my brothers. David does mention this, but mainly I think so that we avoid doing it to other young men in future.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Yes, of course you're right; the invasion has had a devastating effect on many of those who served in Iraq, just as being conscripted to Vietnam had a devastating effect on one of my brothers. David does mention this, but mainly I think so that we avoid doing it to other young men in future.
I never served but I imagine that it has been a common experience through out history that there have been those who have served their country, empire, etc. who have had to deal with a lot after the battles were done. I had one grandfather in WWI and the other was in WWII plus my cousin's father was in Korea so we've had a few who served over the years, and I don't say that they didn't do something that was necessary, but I do think that not all injuries suffered in war are visible. When will we learn how to find a better way I wonder?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
When will we learn how to find a better way I wonder?
I wish I knew. The Australian Government a couple of years or so ago formally apologised to the Aboriginal people for the harm we have done to them, and more recently apologised to the unwed mothers who were forced to give up their babies for adoption. I hope to live long enough to see our government apologise and make reparations for what we did or helped to do to the Iraqi people. That might be a start in searching for a better way.

But I'm not betting on it happening in my life time.