Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've just bought a Kobo Touch, and need help

I bought a Kobo Touch this afternoon, and have some beginners problems.

Should there be a manual on the ereader? I certainly can't find one, and am floundering around trying to make sense of the many options. I understand that there are pdf manuals on the Kobo website, but I'd rather have the manual in ePub if one is available.

Quite often when I select a link to go to a new page the lower part of the newscreen appears first and then the upper part - sometimes with the text disappearing and coming back. Is this normal?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I bought a Kobo Touch this afternoon, and have some beginners problems.

Should there be a manual on the ereader? I certainly can't find one, and am floundering around trying to make sense of the many options. I understand that there are pdf manuals on the Kobo website, but I'd rather have the manual in ePub if one is available.
There is only a "quick tour" that shows you arrows of where everything is, and some quick hints. This should have shown up just after the setup. But there's not a lot of info in there. Is there anything particular you would like to know how to do?

Quote:
Quite often when I select a link to go to a new page the lower part of the newscreen appears first and then the upper part - sometimes with the text disappearing and coming back. Is this normal?
No, this is not normal. Do you mean links as in from the TOC, or references on a page to another page? Does it only happen when you select one of those, or does it also happen when you just turn the page to next page (without using a link)?

Also, does this behaviour only occur with the one book, or does it happen in others as well, and if so, what is the source of those books?

Pages should load at once, not in two halves, and once the text is there, it should definitely not disappear... If this keeps happening and is not book-related, I'd exchange your device for a new one.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Since the latest firmware update, I often see a page appear half at a time when I open a book. Just one of the many bugs they introduced this time around.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Since the latest firmware update, I often see a page appear half at a time when I open a book. Just one of the many bugs they introduced this time around.
Ah good to know. Is that 2.3.1? I haven't seen anything like it yet.

In that case the solution might be to manually upgrade to the bug fix firmware 2.3.2 (that has only been distributed in Japan for some reason). The link can be found here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Be careful to get the right firmware – new Touches take the Glo firmware... However, even if you just bought a Touch, doesn't mean you have the new Touch, it might be old stock... and I don't know how to distinguish between new and old Touch models, sorry.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Ah good to know. Is that 2.3.1? I haven't seen anything like it yet.

In that case the solution might be to manually upgrade to the bug fix firmware 2.3.2 (that has only been distributed in Japan for some reason). The link can be found here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Be careful to get the right firmware – new Touches take the Glo firmware... However, even if you just bought a Touch, doesn't mean you have the new Touch, it might be old stock... and I don't know how to distinguish between new and old Touch models, sorry.

Yes it is 2.3.1 . . I have the same thing happening but only when I initially select and open a book. The pages turn as normal after that.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Yes it is 2.3.1 . . I have the same thing happening but only when I initially select and open a book. The pages turn as normal after that.
Me too, it started in firmware 2.3.1 and still happens in 2.3.2.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Me too, it started in firmware 2.3.1 and still happens in 2.3.2.

Have just sideloaded 2.3.2 hoping to get rid of it . . no such luck!

P.S Love your rat
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all. It's a great relief to know that other people have seen the weird appearance when going to a new page.

I have another question about text in italics. When I look at text which I know is in italics from reading the book on another reader in some Kobo fonts the text is blocked (normal but heavy) instead of italics. Anyone else seen that?

Regards, Alex
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Thanks to you all. It's a great relief to know that other people have seen the weird appearance when going to a new page.

I have another question about text in italics. When I look at text which I know is in italics from reading the book on another reader in some Kobo fonts the text is blocked (normal but heavy) instead of italics. Anyone else seen that?

Regards, Alex
No - my italics are/were fine on 2.3.2. I have just downloaded back to firmware 2.1.5
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Manuals can be found at Kobo.com

Hi Alex,
Yes they do have a manual however it is on their website. You can find it via the link below or just look under the support options for the Touch Reader at kobo.com
Link: http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_user_guides

I thought it was a bit weird as well when I got my Touch this past summer, however as I have come to use it I found out that the operation is completely dependent on the firmware. As they issue updates the layout and operation of it changes so if they did put a paper manual in the box it probably would be obsolete by the time they issued an update for the reader.

Not sure about the font issue you are having, if you are using your own fonts it could be that the italic sub-file (not sure how else to describe it) is missing.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Are they epub2 files? If epub3 files, we have to use ".kepub.epub" extension in kobo. I had lots of problems on epub3 files without ".kepub.epub" extensions.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Certain fonts have that issue. Poke around and you'll find a few threads on it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks for your responses.

I have poked around - tested text in the same ePub with all the different fonts on my Kobo Touch - and found a lot of variation. Some fonts don't do italics at all, some of the sans fonts do italics but the italics are in serif, and only one sans font does italics with the italicised text in sans.

The ebook I'm using has font-family:sans-serif; in its CSS, but the font displayed by the Kobo is some kind of a serif font.

I've also found that the font chosen also influences links. With some fonts the links work as expected, but with many of the the links either don't work or take me to a different place than they should. Anyone else seen that?

I'm trying to put the results of my testing in some kind of a summary, and will post it on the ePub forum. I'll look for the few threads robko mentioned first to see if it's already been done.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-12-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I've also found that the font chosen also influences links. With some fonts the links work as expected, but with many of the the links either don't work or take me to a different place than they should. Anyone else seen that?
That hasn't ever come up in relation to different fonts, but some people seem to have issues and others don't, so font differences could explain it. What fonts were you having link issues with?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
Are they epub2 files? If epub3 files, we have to use ".kepub.epub" extension in kobo. I had lots of problems on epub3 files without ".kepub.epub" extensions.
Could you please tell us which problems those were apart from that the reader does not pick up the toc.xhtml?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote