Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
patpat
patpat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
flashing effect on page change...

my PRS-600 is my first e-reader and I love it, yes I know its contrast is not the best one but being able to highlight and annotate text is something I really need...

my books are 99% regular pdf files that after cropping margins on Acrobat read very well w/o magnification on portrait mode.

off course on portrait mode every pdf page is displayed on "2 parts" (the upper part and the lower part"

my question; for some reason I do not know every time I change from a lower part to the corresponding next upper part pressing the next page button the screen updates to the new content and after a second or so the screen shows a second flash; This effect is not displayed when changing pages from an upper part to the corresponding lower part of the same pdf page?

why this? that flash is really bothering me!

thanks
Pat
patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
You mean the page "flashing" all black before displaying a new bunch of text? If it's the one that also happens with .txt files, can't do anything about it, it's part of the nature of the device (e.g. go to the drawing app, draw a bunch of stuff and then erase it, hold it up to the light and you'll see ghosts of what you wrote... that's what happens if the entire screen doesn't "flash").

I've tried to reproduce your problem, but can't see anything more than the usual flashing, all in under a second after a page change though. It seems to flash a bit more when the pdf is more complex, but on my device, that's all that happens.
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
patpat

yes I mean the page flashing going all the way black,
the interesting thing is that only flashes when moving to the upper part of a page, but it does not flashes when I move to the corresponding lower part of the page...

I think this is a firmware bug, the reader produces the flash after composing the whole page no matter that is only displays the upper part of it and when I move to the lower part the firmware already has that part composed, it displays it but it does not produce that bothering and it seems "unnecessary"?? flash.....
anyone seeing this the way I do???
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Mine does the same thing every so often, usually when I first start reading a new book. I don't know why it would do that on every page though. I don't read PDFs on mine and I don't have this problem, so maybe it's something to do with how the reader handles and loads PDFs.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I sometimes have a page flashing once, and sometimes it looks like it flashes twice when I turn a page. Sometimes I have the same effects when panning around a zoomed page. But so far it didn't bother me that much. It would be interesting though to know why that is. I don't really think that it's a bug. Maybe it's a feature ?!? (Ok, just joking) I think it has to do with the programming, but I don't know what triggers this second flashing. I'm not sure, but I think my 505 doesn't do this.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
patpat

well it's definitely a bug, when I bought the thing my girlfriend said I would like it w/o that page flash... at the moment I didn't care, now is starting to bother that completely unnecessary extra flash...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
gdornick
Eager reader
gdornick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3, PW1 & PW2, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus
Pat: I have the same issue as you AND it is bothering me too!
I noticed that when I am turning a page with the stylus or finger over the screen, the next page won't flash at all, while using the "next page button" will create a flash. Strange!

I converted the pdf-file I am reading at the moment into epub with Calibre. That worked: no flashes anymore when turning pages. But for some reason Calibre converted every "-" in the text into a "?" (so PRS-600 became PRS?600). So, I will keep reading the pdf-version while using the stylus instead of the buttons.

Last edited by gdornick; 04-20-2010 at 12:59 PM.
gdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Having no 2nd flashing on page turns sounds good on one side, but I still rather prefer using my finger or the buttons, whatever seems more convenient (depending on how I hold my reader). I think it's annoying, too, but it seems not to bother me as much as others.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
patpat

well I see I'm not alone here...

That extra flash is not just only annoying; it also reduces battery life (double e-ink refresh per page !!)... and that means a lot in a device like an e-reader....

Please Sony, fix this bug...

about the PR?600 I had similar problems when converting from chm to pdf and I've solve the thing telling the converter to embed the necessary fonts into the generated pdf.

Last edited by patpat; 04-23-2010 at 05:01 AM.