Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
How do you read Word documents?

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere (I couldn't find it). Is there an app available ro read Word documents? I am trying to open them from Evernote, but it says it can't. Thank you
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
You'll have to install an Android app for that. There's a bunch out there that will read word documents but they very in function and overall quality.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
easterncoyote
Zealot

Can you reccommend one that I can get for the Vox please?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
You can get Documents to Go free version here:

http://www.dataviz.com/purchase/buy/..._pg1_free.html

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I can recommend Quick Office Pro. I use it all the time for the files I need when on the go, specifically for school projects. It reads Microsoft Office 2010 documents perfectly, and edits even the smallest things, such as speaker notes on power point etc.

[pirate site deleted, official site link added] You can find it here.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-05-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: removed link to pirate site.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are both paid and unpaid versions of Quickoffice Pro. I bought the pro version from handango.com after trying the free version.

Various places on the net sometimes have paid apps on their site at no charge. I'm pretty sure that the companies that make the software are not exactly delighted . I'm also pretty sure a lot of the folks who get paid apps from them have no idea that they are downloading something they really should have paid for. I didn't figure it out initially, either, and it can be really hard to find paid apps outside of Android market.

Last edited by taming; 12-05-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: <blush>
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
easterncoyote
Zealot

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
you can also convert txt doc to epub, then you upload them. I usually put them into Aldiko library so i see what they are, in the kobo library the covers all look the same.

just google for sites that do that
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
...or use Cute pdf to convert to pdf and view that way - that's what I do will all my docs, since I don't have word on my home pc (it's a pain, but I am too cheap to buy office - lol!!!)
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
...or use Cute pdf to convert to pdf and view that way - that's what I do will all my docs, since I don't have word on my home pc (it's a pain, but I am too cheap to buy office - lol!!!)
Try LibreOffice on your PC - it is free

ps
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
Try LibreOffice on your PC - it is free

ps
Ahhh...thanks for that tip!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
If you go through your PC, then why not converting the doc directly to epub with Calibre?
"There is a Word macro package that can automate the conversion of Word documents using calibre. It also makes generating the Table of Contents much simpler. It is called BookCreator and is available for free at mobileread."
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote