Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
Mmm spoke too early: both books look good in Calibre, but when I try to open them in the Cybook after about 5 seconds it reboots (via the grey screen) and back to the last place in the folder list :-(

strange ....

are you using Calibre to send direct to the Cybook ? (I tend not to, just use old fashioned copy&paste.)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
ET3D
ET3D began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Is it really dying ? If you see Microsoft Reader, this format/software didn't evolved since what ?... 2002 ? Nonetheless, it still lives...
The difference is that Mobipocket was bought by Amazon. Amazon is a book seller, so it has no interest in seeing the format succeed in other stores and in devices other than the Kindle (which uses a slightly adapted version of the format). Microsoft is a software/device seller, so it has no incentive to limit its reader's use.
ET3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
strange ....

are you using Calibre to send direct to the Cybook ? (I tend not to, just use old fashioned copy&paste.)
Yeah, tried copying direct, curiously the cybook then crashed opening the folder (author) with the book in. My work around was to use calibre to convert them to pdf and use that.

As a control I just bought a book from WHSmug and it opened in calibre fine, then loaded into the reader just fine. The odd thing is the file sizes - both of the books that crash the cybook are over 2Mb in size, that is much larger than a typical file.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mmm ... 2mb is a big file -

can you read these large files in the viewer on Calibre ? / Mobi Reader ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Yes. The original epubs are 2,068 and 2,247, which are fine in ADE; the er, treated ones are 2,076 and 2,252' which import and read fine in Calibre. By contrast the book I bought today was a more typical 600k.

I could try putting the original in the Cybook, but it means authorising my reader in another version of ADE, and having DRM back on it. I can use the PDF versions which actually come out even bigger but will read in the reader.

Things used to be so simple.....
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
walter822
happy reader
walter822 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, IrexDR800S, Pocketbook IQ/701
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It won't help until the .acsm is replaced by Desktop Adobe Digital Editions with the actual .epub, but I suggest immediately stripping the DRM once you get an Adobe ePub (I would not even bother authorizing your Cybook for Adobe). DRM always burns you in the end, and there is (most likely) nothing wrong with stripping DRM for personal use of ebooks you bought.

The best single source for up to date DRM info is Apprentice Alf's Blog.
Excuse me, I have a side question: I wish to de-drm - only for personal use, of course - some of my moby books I have bought but do not know how to. Can you say me how can I do it, or where to find informations about this subject.
Thanks.
walter822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter822 View Post
Excuse me, I have a side question: I wish to de-drm - only for personal use, of course - some of my moby books I have bought but do not know how to. Can you say me how can I do it, or where to find informations about this subject.
Thanks.
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
walter822
happy reader
walter822 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, IrexDR800S, Pocketbook IQ/701
Many thanks Alex
Walter
walter822 is offline   Reply With Quote