Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Wi-Fi at B&N store

B&N's website says:
Quote:
We have always wanted our stores to feel like home—a place where people can relax, explore and connect with ideas and each other at their leisure. So it is only natural that, in today's world, we want our customers to enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi. You can explore the world the way you always have at Barnes & Noble with the technology that connects us to the world today.
Today I was in a B&N store and connected to the AT&T Wi-Fi using my Kindle. Every time I tried to enter a URL into the browser, I got redirected to the B&N home page.

While I admit it would be gauche to use a Kindle to buy books from Amazon while browsing the shelves of a B&N store, I wasn't trying to do that; I was trying to read the news (while sipping a chai latte that I'd bought at the store's cafe). Also, it seems rather pointless to attempt to screen Kindles -- IF that's what they're doing -- since I could just as easily buy a book from Amazon while in the store using my netbook or other wireless device (unless they're blocking Amazon on all devices).

Anyway ... Your experiences? Your thoughts?
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
meg820
meg820 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I've never had a problem being redirected to the B&N website from my laptop. Maybe it was a fluke...maybe, lol.
meg820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
When you first connect to the wifi at B&N you're required to accept their conditions. My guess is that it was redirecting you to a page to accept their conditions. That's what happens when I log in at B&N with my iPod Touch. I have to check the little box that says I accept their conditions and then I can use my Touch's browser to go anywhere.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
When you first connect to the wifi at B&N you're required to accept their conditions. My guess is that it was redirecting you to a page to accept their conditions. That's what happens when I log in at B&N with my iPod Touch. I have to check the little box that says I accept their conditions and then I can use my Touch's browser to go anywhere.

dordale
OK, that makes sense. I probably missed the checkbox, because the print was tiny and I had to scroll right to read the entire page. (Scrolling right makes my eyes glaze.) Will look more closely next time.

Thanks for the tip!
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote