Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

First impressions

My nook seems a bit slower than my Kindle 2, but overall, I think it is a much slicker package. I don't really notice the missing folders, nor the lack of text-to-speech, as I never use these. I think I will be using the nook more than either the Kindle or the Sony.

The PDF reader is definitely a lot better than the one in my Sony, and for that, I'm grateful.

My main problem right now is that it scrambles the titles and authors of the PDF files I upload to it.

Feel free to ask any questions about the nook.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
hsjwmom
hsjwmom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which Sony do you have? For just straight up book reading, how does the nook stack up to it? Getting to the book, turning pages, display, etc.
hsjwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
My nook seems a bit slower than my Kindle 2

Feel free to ask any questions about the nook.
You answered it.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
Which Sony do you have? For just straight up book reading, how does the nook stack up to it? Getting to the book, turning pages, display, etc.
I have an older PRS-500. Turning pages is probably a tad slower on the nook than for the PRS-500. For straight reading, that is the thing I might notice the most. Otherwise, the display on the nook is probably better than that of the PRS-500, but the newer Sony displays are nicer too, so that's probably not saying much.

Getting to the book is very easy with the book cover feature. I really like that.

I'm taking the nook to the B&N store tomorrow and check out the preview feature.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
hsjwmom
hsjwmom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks! I'm about to go ahead with buying a PRS-505, but am hesitating for some reason. I think I need to get over craving nook just because it's new and cool, lol.
hsjwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Just got my nook and it is slow. Much slower than the prs505.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I find page breaks refreshing and have no problem with my Sony PRS-500. (The newer 505, 700, 300, and 600 are faster for page turning and display than the 500.) I will press the page advance button with a line or two still left on the current page and it seems to work out well. I also use the end-of-the-page / start-of-the-next-page period as a time to look away from the screen, to allow my eyes to focus on something other than the text. This avoids eye strain for me allows me to read for longer periods of time.

My older Sony requires that you keep the font that was originally specified and you have the choice of three (3) sizes (small, medium, and large.) It will reformat the book when you change font sizes (and that may take a long time depending upon the length of the book and prior reformatting. Will the nook allow you to change the font of an existing book? What font sizes are available?

The Sony LRF format is great for keeping you where you want to be. In a given font size page 145 will always start with the same words. Not so with Mobipocket (or the Amazon Kindle format that is based on Mobipocket.) Given the same font and font size, does the nook maintain consistent page registeration?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I believe it has been reported that there are three fonts and five sizes per font in other threads.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi,

I was wondering about the WiFi. Does it use the wifi in your home for example to download a book or does it use the 3G connection?

Thanks,
Al
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
It will use a WiFi connection when available. You will be able to configure it to use the WiFi in your home, as well as any other access point that doesn't require you to first visit a browser page.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
fishfuzz
fishfuzz began at the beginning.

If you sideload a book such as the MobileRead catalog, can you download the books over the air directly from the Nook?
fishfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
It will use a WiFi connection when available. You will be able to configure it to use the WiFi in your home, as well as any other access point that doesn't require you to first visit a browser page.
Thank you.

-Al
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Has anyone put a microSD card in their nook yet??

I was reading the manual and was wondering how difficult it was to open up the device to slip in the card ??
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
Opening the device is not difficult at all. There's a tab on the back on the bottom near the USB port. You utilize the tab to pull up on the back cover.

That said, the card "slot" isn't really a slot. You lift a lid on it, place your card into position, close the lid. That's it. Doesn't snap or lock into place really; just the lid holding it in place.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
Opening the device is not difficult at all. There's a tab on the back on the bottom near the USB port. You utilize the tab to pull up on the back cover.

That said, the card "slot" isn't really a slot. You lift a lid on it, place your card into position, close the lid. That's it. Doesn't snap or lock into place really; just the lid holding it in place.

K.
Thanks for the info - My nook is coming Tuesday, and was wondering if I should get the extended warrentee before trying to open it

I was going to try opening one at my local B&N, but I don't think they would appreciate it!
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote