Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #211
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
ixtab! You are the man!

As I mentioned, 3g was working earlier in the day but after using Kubrick 3g stopped working.

So now the question is, since I'm kinda a newbie to this, how/what do I change on this thing? I'm not a newbie at all. I've been using linux for years but when it comes to this particular case I'm totally lost on what to do. I can SSH into the kindle, no problem. I'm not scared of the command line, I just like the experience/know how.

Any help/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I may just need some dummying down of some of the stuff on the other thread. Thanks.
Well then - it's pretty straightforward: Install usbnetwork, SSH in, mntroot rw, and use vi to edit the files. If you've never used it, the most complicated part is probably vi

Alternatively, just scp the files to the computer and edit them there.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #212
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
nano!

lol oh crap not that debate again... hehehehe
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #213
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
Thanks. I'll do that later tonight. I know my limits. Vi is outside my reach, last time I used it it was a nightmare! But nano? Nano I can use.

So just edit the files? What about the linking mentioned a bit further down the thread.

Edit: I thought there was linking necessary, re-read and understood better. The link it's already there, the full path is written out for documentation sake! Thanks guys I'll report my results.

Last edited by kolosus; 03-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #214
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

err. you can grab one of my nano builds (or some-one elses) and splatter it on then.

note that nano is NOT included OOTB. I don't wan't to clutter this thread with my rubbish but sufficed to say that it is actually small enough to dump on the rootfs at a pinch. although I would not recommend that.

There are copious copies of it. Here's one I made earlier . Enjoy. if you need more info about the implementation of that lets take it to a fresh thread.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #215
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... or simply:
Code:
sed -i -e 's/^0$/1/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/hw_present
sed -i -e 's/^1$/0/' /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/cmd/interfaces/interface2/force_down

Last edited by ixtab; 03-21-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: ... whoops - the other way around :)
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #216
ixtab
(offline)

Kubrick 3.0

Ok, so... after quite some sweat and tears (no blood, fortunately ) - here's a shiny new version of Kubrick.

It doesn't look very different on the outside, but it actually is almost completely overhauled on the inside.

Here are some of the new features:
  • Automatically fixes "Your Kindle Needs Repair" situations
  • Now correctly debricks 3G Kindle Touch devices
  • Can restore Kindle Touch Text-to-Speech files
  • Should boot (and work), on most decently new Apple computers with 64-bit Intel processors - and maybe even on other EFI-based systems(?)
  • Uses an optimized, (almost) brand new Linux kernel (version 3.7.10 vanilla, zcat /proc/config.gz for the gory details), thus hopefully making it work on even more computers
  • Uses efficient lzma compression wherever possible - which makes it possible to fit complete support for all 3 devices on a 1 GB USB stick (yay!)

Please refer to the updated first post for installation notes. Feedback is very welcome.

PS: @twobob/dsmid: please let me know once you brought the mirrored files up to date, so I can modify the first post accordingly.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #217
twobob

on it...
EDIT: Old 3.0 links deleted.

Mirrors complete.

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #218
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
on it...
EDIT: Old 3.0 links deleted.

Mirrors complete.
Thanks a lot! First post updated accordingly.

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #219
Selrond
Selrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Touch
So this Kubrick thingy is supposed to solve my troubles with updating my 5.1.2 version K Touch to 5.3.2 version, while getting 006 error...? I had it jailbroken, JBPAtch installed and screensaver hack installed as well as gui launcher installed, but I was getting the 006 error while updating it... Then I re-set my Kindle, but agent 006 still on a scene... :/
So will it help?
Selrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #220
ixtab
(offline)

Yes, this Kubrick thingy is supposed to solve your problem, and it will help.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #221
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selrond View Post
So this Kubrick thingy is supposed to solve my troubles with updating my 5.1.2 version K Touch to 5.3.2 version, while getting 006 error...? I had it jailbroken, JBPAtch installed and screensaver hack installed as well as gui launcher installed, but I was getting the 006 error while updating it... Then I re-set my Kindle, but agent 006 still on a scene... :/
So will it help?
yes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #222
Selrond
Selrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeSelrond possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Touch
Cool !!!

Love u ixtab! Updated like a boss! I need to get rid of those ads though..
Selrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #223
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selrond View Post
Love u ixtab! Updated like a boss! I need to get rid of those ads though..
Well, that's pretty simple. Either do it through the "Manage Your Kindle" page, or call Kindle Support. Both of these methods will cost you $20 at most.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #224
Recountryman
Recountryman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just want to say thanks as I just got a demo k3 and used the Kubrick Linux live cd for k3 to do it.

Had no issues except for some reason on my computer neither the cd for k3 or the one that has the stuff for k3, k4 and k4 would work as when it would boot up and linux would start loading then it would alarm out saying unable to load /dev /sr1.

I went to my other pc and all was good.

Last edited by Recountryman; 03-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Recountryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #225
twobob

nice report countryman!

I love that film : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_242.png
Views:	245
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	103385  

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 09:15 PM.