Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #361
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Frequently, software developers mistake "bugs" for "features". If I could ask someone responsible for this at Apple, I'd ask: "Why do you change the user-preferred screen brightness whenever the iPad goes to sleep?" And if Apple has no cogent answer to that, it's not a feature, but a bug.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #362
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
All in all, I'd rather leave Marvin use physical brightness control and accept this iOS 'artefact'. In fact, all the apps I tried that let you change physical brightness manifest this behaviour. What do you think?
Kris

As far as I am concerned it is a minor annoyance and not something you should waste any more time on.

Looking forward to next months update. I would rather you had some time off or worked on that rather than worrying about the brightness issue that looks as though is is an Apple feature.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #363
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Cheers Valkrider. I already spent a good day figuring out what is going on to no avail. For now, I'll put it in the "let's think about it later" pile and focus on the January update.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #364
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I've now succeeded in reproducing the brightness bug. I have brightness set at 80%. If I switch away from Marvin and then come back to it, the brightness still remains at 80%. If, however, I put the iPad to sleep and then turn it on back again, the brightness in Marvin drops to about 68% every time. You don't even need to leave Marvin for this to happen. And it happens regardless of whether the iPad's auto-brightness setting is turned on or off. (Mine is an iPad 3 on iOS 5.)
I see the same thing. If I simply switch over to another app, when I go back to Marvin, the brightness is the same it was. When I put the ipad to sleep, then the brightness gets changed.

Is this even a Marvin bug?

Feels like an ios critter.....

Ipad2 with ios 6.0

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 12-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #365
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Artbatista, I can reproduce the same thing with iBooks, Readmill and any other app that let's you control hardware brightness. I think it's an iOS thing.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #366
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I hadn't thought about the brightness thing at all - until I read this thread!

Not an issue for me really.

I love Deep View - quite addictive! Just one thought about it Kris which you might wish to consider. I recently read Ethan Frome as part of the Mobileread book club. This is a very short book. I loved it and used Deep View to find background material. Just after I hit the button I realised that although the book was short, this version was part of a complete works set(thanks again Pynch) which was huge. After a few minutes I realised my mistake and that this might take all night to complete. Anyway there was no obvious way of cancelling the operation, so I had to close Marvin fully, and reopen it. Not a major issue but I am sure lots of people when playing with Deep View will find this out, so a small Cancel button might be useful .
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #367
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Feels like an ios critter.....
You can safely file it among iOS bugs. There's no logical reason for iOS to be doing this -- it's not in order to save battery life, because if I set brightness to 25%, iOS will put it right back up to around 68%. It's a straightforward disregard of the user's preference, so I hope many software developers will complain to Apple about it, so that this behaviour disappears in future iOS versions.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #368
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Cool

One more interesting fact about the brightness bug, perhaps: I'm running iOS 5.1.1 on both iPad 3 and iPad 1, but the brightness bug behaves differently in Marvin on each of them. This is true both when the iPad's auto-brightness mode is activated and deactivated.

On iPad 3, putting the iPad to sleep resets the brightness in Marvin to around 68% every time. But on iPad 1, the reset value is around 80%. If brightness is set to 0% on iPad 1, it resets to around 40%, whereas it resets from 0% to the usual 68% on iPad 3.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #369
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Since I love to read on my Mini, I tought I'd give Marvin a try and I have to say I'm impressed. This programme is so complete.
My compliments Kris and
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #370
kguil
Addict

@Richard, I'm really happy that you're liking Deep View. I haven't got much feedback on it yet. I'll definitely be updating Marvin to let you cancel running analysis as well as Wikipedia searches. In the worst case, it won't make it into the very next version. There are really lots and lots of new features coming up in it as well as an updated layout engine that with smoother page turn animations and 2-column reading. I'm trying to fit in as much as possible without being too hasty. I'll do my best. It is one of my peeves too.

@Joy. Thanks a lot! Spread the word
Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #371
kguil
Addict

Just updated Marvin's roadmap http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #372
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
All I can say is, "WOW!" I've been reading with Marvin since Christmas Day. I read through all the new things that will be added to Marvin with the release of version 1.2 and I'm looking forward to it.

The next best thing for me will be the iPhone version with syncing of the ebooks so I can read on my phone at work and then the Mini once I'm home and just pick up where I left off in the same book.

Thank you so much for the program!

Shykat
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #373
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Kris

This is fantastic

You are even adding items like the custom dropbox folder I was about to ask for.

Please Please now stop adding features and get it to us ( I assume Apple will be the delay)

regards

adrian
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #374
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, the new roadmap is very, very impressive.

G
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #375
kguil
Addict

Thanks Guys. Adrian, there is one last feature I'm finishing. After that, Marvin will go through some serious testing (there are some substantial 'under the bonnet' changes including the layout engine). I'll submit to Apple ASAP.
Closed Thread