Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
SavalBork
SavalBork began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
EPUB or MOBI

Hi, all. I just ordered a 912 and am getting my collection ready to transfer over. I am wondering if anyone that has this device can tell me whether the MOBI or EPUB format makes for a better read (speed, features, etc.) on the 912. Thanks!
SavalBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
It doesn't really matter if you have MOBI or EPUB, EPUB is a bit more advanced regarding internal formatting.
The only real advantage of EPUB is you can use the alternative fbreader ISO Adobe
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I would go for ePub. As troll said, with ePub you have the choice between different reading apps (many here prefer CoolReader). And mobis are displayed much better in a native Mobipocket Reader - like your Kindle has one - than on fbreader. And dictionary lookup works only in Epub, if this feature is important for you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
SavalBork

Oh, that last part cinched it. Thanks to the both of you. I was disappointed to see, in the theme thread, that there were not any that worked well on the large format readers. If anyone knows of large format specific resources, and could point me in the right direction, I would, once again, be appreciative. I am starting from scratch with this thing, and do not see a lot of resources out there. I am so glad that this forum is here. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
In the german section @SIRSteiner is working on themes for PB Touch, maybe he can point out how to create a new theme.
In this forum you have this thread for themes.

Difficulty with the new devices is PB not releasing the sources for theme-development like they did for the 360°
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
SavalBork

Thanks, troll; yeah, I had downloaded all of those themes...before realizing that they would not look good on the 912. Someone mentioned, at the end of that thread, that some themes worked well for the large format readers, but I could not readily tell which. I will take a look at the German thread; however, being "language challenged", I may not have much luck. Thanks again for the direction.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for ePub. It's a more advanced format. Plus, if you want to make any changes to an eBook, ePub is so much easier to deal with then Mobi. Mobi is obsolete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote