Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Friday's Question of the day 3/6/09

So, the next would be 12?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Depends on what base you are in. At any rate, you forgot the "/".
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, it could be 10.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or 11.

Excuse me, /11.

If it's in base 11.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I had to learn base 16 for a math class many moons ago. Retained that bit of useful info barely long enough to pass the test! So far, it's never come up again.

It was a "history of math" type of class, and you need base 16 to read ancient Persian cunieform clay tablets with daily inventories on it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Leave it to the Persians to be difficult. I wonder what-all they used to count on to come up with sixteen? Let's see: Ten fingers, unless you don't count the thumbs; ten toes, unless you don't count... no, they're all toes, so unless you had some cut off by a Spartan... or, maybe they used dance steps...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, the next would be 12?
This something to do with read a book week?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
pshrynk

So, it's 10 base 12, 11 base 11, and 12 base 10, and c base anything beyond that. Base nine is right out!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This something to do with read a book week?
No, that's March 8-14... which would be 8-12 base 12, 8-13 base 11, 8-15 base 9, 10-14 base 8, and 11-20 base 7...

Base 10 is okay, if you want to be pedantic about it.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Leave it to the Persians to be difficult. I wonder what-all they used to count on to come up with sixteen? Let's see: Ten fingers, unless you don't count the thumbs; ten toes, unless you don't count... no, they're all toes, so unless you had some cut off by a Spartan... or, maybe they used dance steps...
If I remember, 16 was some sort of holy number or something. Honestly, I'm surprised I've remembered this much of the class. And the writing is triangles based on arrangments of lines, so maybe (left leaning triangle pointing down) might represent 2. Something complicated along those lines. So the test would have questions like (left leaning triangle pointing down + left leaning triangle pointing right) = _________ in base 16, which is _________ in base 8, which is __________ in base 10.

I passed. Barely.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the question is immaterial. all your base are belong to ME !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the question is immaterial. all your base are belong to ME !
But of course! I was talking about after you finished with them and tossed them into the royal trash.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
the base is where one starts !..... I thought it was -1 ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
If I remember, 16 was some sort of holy number or something. Honestly, I'm surprised I've remembered this much of the class. And the writing is triangles based on arrangments of lines, so maybe (left leaning triangle pointing down) might represent 2. Something complicated along those lines. So the test would have questions like (left leaning triangle pointing down + left leaning triangle pointing right) = _________ in base 16, which is _________ in base 8, which is __________ in base 10.

I passed. Barely.
I... probably played hooky that day.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

I passed. Barely.
I didn't know that. Computer programming would be a lot easier if we would have stuck with the Persian system. They were way ahead of their time.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote