Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why is this suddenly news? It's just another example (just another; not a better or a worse one) why you should never rely on being able to download a copy of your ebook(s) from a retailer's servers beyond the initial purchase/download.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It isn't news. Just someone who doesn't seem to understand how B&N's DRM actually works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It isn't news. Just someone who doesn't seem to understand how B&N's DRM actually works.
This sounds like you're blaming the victim.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
That is also why I strip any DRM on purchased items ASAP (on items that I can anyway) so I don't have to worry about a store closing (Fictionwise or original amazon ebooks, or Microsoft Reader (.lit)), or losing a credit card.
Exactly. The only DRM I 'accept' is cracked DRM, thank you very much. The very first thing that happens with any ebook I buy is that it gets imported in Calibre. My good friend Alf takes care of the rest
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
From what I understand it's simply someone whose credit card has expired, and didn't realise that they had to update the card details in their B&N account. Sorry, but that's not "News".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You have all convinced me to strip the DRM off my B&N purchases and get them into Calibre. Would it be easier to do this dragging the books off my Nook or should I download direct to computer? I have 100-200 ebooks. Thanks. After this, I will do as I buy them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Since the victim is bitching about their own ineptness, yeah, so?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You have all convinced me to strip the DRM off my B&N purchases and get them into Calibre. Would it be easier to do this dragging the books off my Nook or should I download direct to computer? I have 100-200 ebooks. Thanks. After this, I will do as I buy them.
Detailed help with DRM removal isn't allowed on Mobileread, but I'm sure that if you asked them the people over at Apprentice Alf's blog would be happy to confirm that for B&N ePubs it doesn't matter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Since the victim is bitching about their own ineptness, yeah, so?
Oh, is there some sort of test one should take before being allowed to own and use an e-reader? Does one need to know detailed information about the different file types, the different forms of DRM, how to use ADE and Overdrive, where one is allowed to shop and with what forms of payment, what the TOS of each bookstore is?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #40
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Oh, is there some sort of test one should take before being allowed to own and use an e-reader? Does one need to know detailed information about the different file types, the different forms of DRM, how to use ADE and Overdrive, where one is allowed to shop and with what forms of payment, what the TOS of each bookstore is?
Yeah, like Catlady, I was unaware of such a test being administered before one is deemed worthy to eRead.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Technically you are supposed to read the TOS on everything, you are held accountable to them.

You're going to bump into the limits of any store's DRM at some point. I agree that B&N's is the least objectionable - since it's not device-specific, nor does it rely on contacting remote servers, if you keep your info somewhere (name/CC) you should be able to get into the book forever.

This is why I promptly strip any DRM'd books I buy (this is very rare - I prefer not to vote for DRM by purchasing it). And back up my Calibre database to a few different places once in a while.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Yeah, like Catlady, I was unaware of such a test being administered before one is deemed worthy to eRead.
You are, of course, correct. But you also should not expect to have whining rights if you do not learn the simple knowledge required to be an informed consumer.
I have a friend who lost about $300 worth of books because he failed to read the "fine print" concerning Adobe's far more onerous DRM. He sure did whine a lot, but he did not show off his ignorance in public like in the thread starter article.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Yeah, this is why I will never own a Nook. I had thought that B&N used ePub and, thus, was pretty open. When I found out otherwise, I swore off B&N. I'll buy from Kobo or Amazon (if I'm going to have to strip DRM, anyway, I might as well).
I nook will handle the standard Adept form of ADE DRM. So if you have a nook, you can read DRMed eBook bought from Sony, Kobo, BooksOnBoard and others that don't use B&N's DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I cannot imagine how anything I said could possibly be interpreted as suggesting any of that.

If you'd like to respond to what I did say, feel free. I decline to chase a moving target.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is how you handle ALL DRM issues.

Download the DRM infected eBook. Strip off the DRM right away. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote