Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #76
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Just got my PU one exchanged for a black leather one tonight.

The leather feels MUCH better in hand than the PU - the latter was slippery, while the leather is a fine grained type which doesn't weigh much more than the PU one. It feels better than the leather Amazon used for the Kindle 3 (rough grain) or Kindle Touch cases - the latter was thin, and felt rather cheap, while the K3 one was more substantial, but very heavy. The Kobo one strikes a nice balance between the two. It's like the leather in a decent leather jacket in texture.

Also, I love the magnetic clasp - I won't say it's more secure than the elastic band, but it keeps the cover from flopping open. Also, the cover is easier to fold open, probably due to the leather being less 'stiff' at the fold than the PI was.

It doesn't outweigh the PU to any noticeable degree, and its texture and it looks to be of a higher quality than the cardboard-frame Touch cases Kobo branded. I'd definitely take this over the fabric ones.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #77
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Oh, I was looking forward to reviews on these covers. Good to know that the leather is a very different feel from the PU - I was considering the PU, but won't now, as I definitely don't want a slippery-feeling case.

Do the fabric ones look/feel like they'll get dirty easily?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #78
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Oh, I was looking forward to reviews on these covers. Good to know that the leather is a very different feel from the PU - I was considering the PU, but won't now, as I definitely don't want a slippery-feeling case.

Do the fabric ones look/feel like they'll get dirty easily?
The fabric ones are also rough textured, and the reason I went with the PU to begin with was because I was afraid the heather grey would pick up dirt and oils too easily. The leather is smooth and supple, but still has some grip. The only reason to get the cloth cover is because of the elastic, which WILL keep the lid closed in a bag, as long as the elastic retains its strength. That, and if you have philosophical objections to using leather. Or hate the feel of leather.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #79
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Black Leather Sleepcover from Whsmiths (UK) today, very nice soft leather. On/off magnet works a treat, not too thick or heavy. Expensive (£40) for what it is, but top quality.

Last edited by mrmoo; 10-29-2012 at 08:51 PM.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #80
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
That leather cover does look nice. Now if only they had colours other than black and brown!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #81
Haesslich
Fanatic

I find it better balanced than the PU, funnily enough. That, and the fold not being as stiff mean I feel much better about holding it in one hand. The texture of the leather helps, too.

I'd love to see this in a light tan myself, but I'm content with the black. I'd have gotten the brown, but they're out of stock.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #82
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I ended up spending 40 bucks + tax on the heather grey fabric cover. For whatever reason, when it comes to eReader covers, I prefer the fabric feel to leather. The PU feels way too slippery, cheap, and synthetic. Was not a big fan of the heather grey colour, looks a bit feminine (or is that immature), but its really growing on me.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #83
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I have a Black Trifold PU Leather Case from Skindigital for my Touch and it fits the Glo pretty good, I had to cut the top flap a little bit to free the light button but I'm really happy with the result I really love that cover, it's really comfortable to hold and you can make your Kobo stand when you read at the table

http://www.skindigitalstore.com/copy...er-case-cover/
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #84
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
A question about the leather Sleepcover - is the clasp distracting when you're reading? Does it flop around? Can you fold it back?
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #85
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
A good question - I bought a cheaper cover and the clasp flaps all over the place!
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #86
Haesslich
Fanatic

The clasp doesn't flop all over - it will move some, but I find that it usually holds its position (roughly) when I bend it back a bit. I find it easier to manage than the elastic, which would HAVE to be rolled back behind the cover, lest it snarl up in the clasps.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #87
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The power slider on my Glo is becoming finicky - it takes a lot of vertical pressure to get it to actually power on, so I'm considering a sleep cover. I typically read with a naked device, so having a cover is a big change for me. The clasp may bother me, so I think I'll go with the elastic and the PU cover. Is it flexible enough to bend back fully and will the elastic keep the cover bent back while reading?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #88
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
The cover on the PU case does fold all the way back and yes you can use the elastic to hold it in that position.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #89
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
The cover on the PU case does fold all the way back and yes you can use the elastic to hold it in that position.
Super, thanks!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #90
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
I bought a leather Sleepcover for EUR44 from the FNAC on the Champs-Élysées on a recent trip to Paris. It's a hard life, I know.

On the plus side, it definitely protects the Glo and holds it in place securely. The leather also feels very nice, much nicer than the PU cover and worth the extra EUR10, in my opinion.

The front cover also folds all the way back. I was worried the clasp might be visually distracting when reading but in fact you can also fold it all the way back and it will hold in place at the rear because of its magnetism. I also think the way the Glo turns on and resumes at the page you were last reading when you open the cover and goes to sleep when you close it is brilliant - it feels very natural and removes one more obstacle between you and your book.

But I do have three quibbles. First, it seems a little buggy - the light does not always come back on when I open the cover, even if I set the light timeout to "never", and I've occasionally ended up a couple of pages ahead of where I left off. Second, you lose some of the tactile nature of the Glo. Yes, the leather is very nice but with the cover folded back you're holding felt, not leather. And third, the Sleepcover bulks up the Glo by about 5mm along each edge, which is a shame.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote