Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The 350 has folders IF you install PRS+ (which so greatly increases the functions of the x50 readers, I think most owners install it).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #62
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I guess I'm a bit confused by the difference between collections and folders, but since that's a side track for this conversation, I don't need anyone to clarify it for me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #63
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I really don't need folders, I just want it to be the best reader in the world.

Oh, and a nice leather case maybe..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #64
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My 350 has folders, so I can't imagine a new one wouldn't.
For days, I've meant to suggest that vugtitan (and now BeccaPrice) might be alluding to a 350 with PRS+ installed. Without custom development on newer Sony Readers, users like vugtitan might feel it necessary to demand that Sony itself offer features supplied by custom FW developers in the past.

The new Sony/Android landscape seems to be changing too rapidly (and perhaps fleetingly) for a long-term custom alternative.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #65
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
So yes the Kobo Mini is using a pearl screen, just like those Sony's..... it's not hugely clear but the old inferior Vizplex screens are a different thing right? These newer pearl screens which mention Vizplex is a type or model of Pearl screen. Otherwise, why would the Kobo Mini product pages state it's a pearl screen?
The old Vizplex screens are most likely on the PRS-500, 505, etc... all readers before the x50 lines. I have no idea when Kobo switched to the newer Pearl screens, but I'm confident they are not using the older inferior Vizplex either.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #66
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Cheers Ripplinger. Not sure if the Kobo WiFi used a pearl screen but they've certainly been using it from the Touch onwards.

Incidentally, I must be one of the few who hasn't installed PRS+ on my 350, I just don't store enough books on it to require folder support. I've been tempted, but am one of those with the view that, if it ain't broke, why fix it! I like it just fine the way it is.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #67
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

The biggest advantage to me with installing PRS+ is that you have total control over the fonts used, you're no longer limited to the default fonts that are on the reader. With my crappy eyes, it's a huge advantage for me. If that was the only feature of PRS+, I'd still love it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #68
redcat
redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: half a dozen
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I really don't need folders, I just want it to be the best reader in the world.

Oh, and a nice leather case maybe..
Tooled or soft?
redcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #69
redcat
redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: half a dozen
Quote:
I guess I'm a bit confused by the difference between collections and folders, but since that's a side track for this conversation, I don't need anyone to clarify it for me.
Perhaps it would be best to start off with "directories" an old 80's and 90's term.
redcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #70
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Tooled or soft?
Something like this maybe?

Spoiler:
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #71
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Perhaps it would be best to start off with "directories" an old 80's and 90's term.
"Directories" refers to something specific within computer filesystems, and the term is still used on most systems, including the modern Linux systems on most ereaders. "Folders" is a GUI term to make it more intuitive to those users who never actually "see" the filesystem underneath, nor the various paths that can be used to access each file. It is a simplification rather than a substitute.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
"Directories" refers to something specific within computer filesystems, and the term is still used on most systems, including the modern Linux systems on most ereaders. "Folders" is a GUI term to make it more intuitive to those users who never actually "see" the filesystem underneath, nor the various paths that can be used to access each file. It is a simplification rather than a substitute.
And "Collections" are simply tags, exactly analogous to the tags you apply to your MP3 files. They have nothing whatsoever to do with where the file is stored in the file system; they simply aid searching and browsing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #73
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The old Vizplex screens are most likely on the PRS-500, 505, etc... all readers before the x50 lines. I have no idea when Kobo switched to the newer Pearl screens, but I'm confident they are not using the older inferior Vizplex either.
Apparently the Kobo mini uses a 5" Vizplex screen, but I'm fairly certain that their other readers have used Pearl screens since the Touch.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #74
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
It's sort-of relevant, since some people want to know what they're buying. From the end user perspective, you can have a book in more than one collection but a book can only exist in one folder. Personally, I prefer the latter since it makes organizing a library easier (every book has a place). Other people prefer the former because it makes organizing a library more flexible (fiction may fit into multiple genres, or non-fiction may have multiple subject headings).
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #75
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Apparently the Kobo mini uses a 5" Vizplex screen, but I'm fairly certain that their other readers have used Pearl screens since the Touch.
I'm pretty sure I already posted to say that the Kobo Mini product page also states it uses a Pearl screen. You can see for yourself if you go and look at it on the Kobo website.

The point is, the Sony x50 series all carry the Vizplex logo, but it is a type or model of pearl screen, not the old inferior Vizplex screen used in the past. Since the Kobo Mini states that is uses a Pearl screen as well as mentioning Vizpex, that just reiterates that fact, and it's wrong to state it uses a Vizplex screen (because it makes people think it's using an old inferior type of screen when it is clearly not).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote