Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Scrivener sale at Boing Boing

Boing Boing is having a sale on Scrivener right now. You can get the Mac or Windows version for $19.50 for a limited time. Not sure how long the sale lasts...

Mac version

Windows version

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-09-2015 at 11:17 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Last day for this sale, it would seem.

I'm still considering whether or not to buy, so if any established fellow MR members already have a Boing Boing store account and would like to get the credit if I do, please feel free to PM me with your referral link information.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Boing Boing is having a sale on Scrivener right now. You can get the Mac or Windows version for $19.50 for a limited time. Not sure how long the sale lasts...

Mac version

Windows version
Thanks for the information.

I was familiar with Scrivener, but hadn't looked into it. It seems optimized for fiction writing, which I don't do. I'm trying to visualize how it would work with a big non-fiction project. I'll probably see if there are any YouTube tutorials (I'm sure that there are--there are video tutorials on YouTube for "everything") showing people actually using it. I'm sure that that would help me a lot in figuring out how helpful it would be to me.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I own Scrivener.

In my opinion, Scrivener is optimized for ALL types of writing.

You can create special folders to accommodate any type of shared material.

It's an extremely good product. It does have a learning curve.

The good part is that you don't have to use the 'hard to understand' stuff right away. You can use the product right off the bat and start writing, and later discovering certain aspects of the program as you move along.

It has a HUGE fan base and a HUGE presence on the internet.

I highly recommend it.

ADDED:

There are at least two threads in the Writers' Forum. Here's one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262500
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree it is a very good piece of software. The other day I used it and Calibre to put together some very short flash pieces I worked on for a facebook writing group. Scrivener compiled them into an epub very quickly. I used Calibre to put a cover on and convert it to Kindle so I could see how they looked. Still need work but Scrivener did a first rate job of compiling them together.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I own Scrivener.

In my opinion, Scrivener is optimized for ALL types of writing.

You can create special folders to accommodate any type of shared material.

It's an extremely good product. It does have a learning curve.

The good part is that you don't have to use the 'hard to understand' stuff right away. You can use the product right off the bat and start writing, and later discovering certain aspects of the program as you move along.

It has a HUGE fan base and a HUGE presence on the internet.

I highly recommend it.

ADDED:

There are at least two threads in the Writers' Forum. Here's one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262500
Thanks. Your opinion means a lot.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree it is a very good piece of software. The other day I used it and Calibre to put together some very short flash pieces I worked on for a facebook writing group. Scrivener compiled them into an epub very quickly. I used Calibre to put a cover on and convert it to Kindle so I could see how they looked. Still need work but Scrivener did a first rate job of compiling them together.
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
briefcandles
Connoisseur
briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For those still on the fence, Scrivener has a fully-functional trial version that you can try for 30 days (not calendar days, but days of actual use).
briefcandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcandles View Post
For those still on the fence, Scrivener has a fully-functional trial version that you can try for 30 days (not calendar days, but days of actual use).
Thanks.

Speaking of "on the fence" . . . . if you had been sitting on it and thought that you had missed out on the offer, take heart. The website said that the offer would end sometime yesterday, I think that it was. Well, yesterday I checked the site with the offer again and it said that the offer would end in 6 days (which would be something like 5 days from now). They must have re-upped it.

The same news is also good news for those who decided that they wanted it, but thought that they had waited too late to be able to get it. As for me, I've started thinking about it again.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
If the boing boing deal expires, it looks like pocketnow deals has the same scrivener 2 discount offer for 5 more days.
https://deals.pocketnow.com/sales/scrivener-2
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:14 AM   #11
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The free software for today at Giveaway of the Day (GOTD) is Liquid Story Binder XE version 4.93.

As I understand it, Liquid Story Binder XE (is it okay if I just use LSB from here on out? Thanks.) is much like Scrivener. In fact, on one website that I looked at the writer said that he or she had used LSB until Scrivener came along.

That person also said that LSB had not been developed any further since Scrivener came along. I believe that to be incorrect, because of a couple of facts, mainly that the version that GOTD is offering is more than 2 full versions ahead of one that I saw reviewed in PC Magazine from a few years back.

What do you all know about Liquid Story Binder XE--good, bad, or indifferent? The ratings that I found were all pretty good, or better. CNET editors even gave it a 4-star out of 5 ("excellent") rating, and it got 5 stars from the three users who submitted votes.

I let the $20 Scrivener specials expire without pulling the trigger on anyone of them. It came down to the money--I want to get stuff for free as much as possible! But, I'd still love to try something like it out, and see how useful it might be to me. And the price is certainly right on the LSB.

The product at GOTD is not hobbled like the software sometimes is in some giveaways. For example, I frequently see free software have only a 1-year, and even 6-month, license. You know what that means--after that period of time, you have no more software! There is the usual set of limitations at GOTD--"1) No free technical support; 2) No free upgrades to future versions; 3) Strictly personal usage." But I can live with those.

Here's a link to the product page at Black Obelisk Software, the company that makes LSB, for anyone who might be interested

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-29-2015 at 04:25 AM.