Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Mouldy
Mouldy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi!

I had been thinking about an e-reader for a looooooonnnng time, and finally decided to get a Kindle DX as a "mid-life crisis" splurge, although I am almost too old for a mid-life crisis. It should be arriving this PM. One of my life-time goals has been to read the Harvard Classics, and I looked for them at used book sales... but the prices were always too high. Thanks to youse guys (as they say around here) I will now get the chance. : And I would have paid what I paid for the Kindle just to get the Harvard Classics! Yeah!!
Mouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Mouldy and welcome to Mobile Read!
You did the good thing, splurging on an e-reader!
Enjoy all the free dowloads, and feel free to ask every question you might have!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Mouldy and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know how you like your DX once it arrives
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Mouldy! Congrats on your new reader! You're going to love it, but be careful! Ereading can be very addictive.

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
I had been thinking about an e-reader for a looooooonnnng time, and finally decided to get a Kindle DX as a "mid-life crisis" splurge, although I am almost too old for a mid-life crisis. It should be arriving this PM. One of my life-time goals has been to read the Harvard Classics, and I looked for them at used book sales... but the prices were always too high. Thanks to youse guys (as they say around here) I will now get the chance. : And I would have paid what I paid for the Kindle just to get the Harvard Classics! Yeah!!
Welcome to MobilRead, mouldy. You found the classics, right? You'll want the .prc format.

You'll also find that books here are much better formatted than those from PG or even those you pay for on Amazon, because they are done by our own members.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 06-22-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Link screwy
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum! I hope your DX has arrived and you are enjoying it!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Mouldy! Enjoy your new reader and all those classics!

By the way, we are never too old for a mid-life crisis! I figure if I have my next mid-life crisis at 63, (I'm planning for it now,) it must mean that I'll live to be at least 126, right? Then another mid-life crisis at 100, pushing the envelope to 200... Hey, by then everyone will have realized the benefits of using a Silver Sony reader too! Oh wait... you're using Kindle... hmmm..... Well, maybe by then Amazon will be nicer to people outside of CONUS! Anyway, be sure to check out all the free books you can find right here in MR!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Mouldy

Wow! You are NOT kidding about it being addictive. However, I am struggling to keep the reading in times that I do not have other obligations! I didn't watch TV much before... now I'm only watching the AM weather & traffic before going in to work.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Mouldy

I'm 59, and I thought you had to get the mid-life crisis in before 60. Perhaps there is something to what you say, although I'm not sure that having one late will directly effect longevity. :-)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Mouldy

Thumbs up Comments from a new Kindle DX'er

This is my first e-reader, so I can't make any comparisons.

I got the DX because I am a software developer. One of the uses will be to show PDF documentation, so that I don't have to flip back and forth between windows on my PC. Haven't tried that yet.

Screen: Very clear and enjoyable. I have good vision, but still find it more comfortable to read with the just above middle size type. The auto shift between portrait and landscape modes is cute, but not a big deal. When it goes to sleep Kindle puts a random picture of an author or book related picture up, which is fun.

Controls: Not having had a reader with controls on both sides, I have been happy with the right side controls, even though I am left handed. Easy to put in highlights, which is a habit with me. Haven't used notes yet.

Kindle Store: Haven't used it yet and don't really expect to use it much. Most of the stuff I want is available free, either at sites like this or on technical sites (for the computer stuff). Maybe I will find out I'm wrong.

Accessories: Funny how I paid so much for the DX, but think the leather covers are too steep. Plus, I have heard of folks breaking their Kindle by opening the cover backward. I had a spare case from my eee netbook which the Kindle fit perfectly.

Whines: Amazon should include a simple cover with the Kindle. It comes with no cover at all. Cheap!
Also, would like a way to put the Kindle to sleep. Maybe there is one and I just haven't figured it out. A couple of times I have found myself a page or two ahead of where I stopped reading because the next page key got depressed through my cover (which is not thin).

Over all, love it, and I love e-reading. When I got the Kindle, I was a bit sheepish, because I thought it was too expensive. Now I wouldn't be without it!!!