Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > Kindle Books (offline)

Notices

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Rockwell, Carey: Tom Corbett -04- The Space Pioneers (illustrated) v1.0 2007-10-16

I bring you book 4 in the Tom Corbett Space Pioneers series; The Space Pioneers.

Quote:
Captain Steve Strong and the Polaris Unit are tapped to screen the applicants who will be selected to colonize Wolf 359. The colony will be headed up by Christopher Hardy who commanded the exploratory mission to the planet. But the cadets come to suspect that Hardy's second in command, Paul Vidac has ulterior motives and may be actively trying to harm the members of Polaris Unit. Vidac orders the cadets on a suicidal mission and then the colonists are harassed by Vidac. The colony is almost ready to revolt but Tom talks the leaders in waiting until they reach Wolf 359 and the cadets can obtain better evidence.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Cool! It seems that "Wolf 359" is older than I thought. When "Wolf 359" was mentioned in Star Trek TNG, in relation to fighting the Borg, I knew that this location in space had been mentioned much earlier, in a Twilight Zone Episode. In fact the title of that Twilight Zone episode was "Wolf 359". I didn't know that it had an even older history in SF. It makes me wonder if there is an even earlier reference than this Tom Corbett story.

So, JSWolf - you have any relatives in that part of space?
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All my relatives live on Earth that I know of.

jbenny, since you are a trekkie, did you download the final version of Music of the Spheres? Probably the only Star Trek book you'll find on MobilRead.

And one thing I do need to do is get my ass in gear and make sure 1-3 are posted in PRC & IMP and then work on #5.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
No, I haven't downloaded the ST book yet. I'm not a real trekkie. I have no interest in going to a ST convention or dressing up like a Klingon. I did watch all the various ST spinoff shows that were on TV. Some of them were ok, some not. When there is so little SF on TV, you tend to watch what there is.

I really dislike most of what the SciFi Channel passes off for SF. Most of it is just another monster movie where everyone gets eaten. They also air way too many horror movies.

I just thought it was interesting that the Wolf 359 plot device was used in so many diverse SF stories, by different authors. The TV series Babylon 5 was famous for doing this. There were many references to older SF stories and authors, in one way or another in that series. The most blatent one was naming the Psi Cop "Alfred Bester". I'll let you look that one up.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Alfred Bester the author. Yep, I got it.
Advert