Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's one specific example where it wouldn't. That doesn't mean "no it wouldn't" for all cases.
Cases where the backlight would be heavily out of sync with the surrounding environment (i.e. insufficient lighting) is a pretty big specific example.

Besides, I was dismissing the attribution of the problems to LCDs themselves, not to maladjusted backlights.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Cases where the backlight would be heavily out of sync with the surrounding environment (i.e. insufficient lighting) is a pretty big specific example.

Besides, I was dismissing the attribution of the problems to LCDs themselves, not to maladjusted backlights.
Keep back-peddling. You'll get there eventually.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Thanks to NiLuJe and hawhill, the Kindle DX makes a great E Ink computer monitor:

http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An eInk monitor would be just ghastly for things like word processing, due to the slow update speed, and I notice the original poster says that he does a lot of typing. It really wouldn't work, I'm afraid.
Actually, it would make great sense for a translator. Working with the original from an e-Ink screen while writing on a laptop. That would still make it a niche market, but at least it would be a market.

And what about a book editor. Wouldn't they benefit from having one screen with text while rewriting on LCD screen?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
It may seem backward, but you might try a QUALITY old CRT monitor. A CRT at 100 hz may have less eyestrain for some folks than an LCD.

The other thing is as suggested, to lower the brightness. I have an old, old 5:4 19" LCD and it's running at 0 brightness at home (next to my 24" widescreen CRT...love my FW900).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do you have one of those awful gloss screens? Try a screen with a matt surface. Much easier to see with less squinting against glare and reflections.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

E Ink computer monitor is GREAT for text editing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An eInk monitor would be just ghastly for things like word processing, due to the slow update speed, and I notice the original poster says that he does a lot of typing. It really wouldn't work, I'm afraid.
Actually, it works great, especially if you use a text editor like vi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #23
MagnusW
MagnusW began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink external monitor

I am an entrepreneur that is currently developing a dedicated e-ink external monitor that is easy to use and dedicated to being the best possible monitor solution (not an e-reader). I am reaching out to people who seem interested in a product like this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you personally would like such a product to work. At this point in my development your input could become real-world features. Hit me with comment and we could have a talk!

Best,
- Magnus

PS: I'm posting on a couple of threads like this, sorry if some of you might see this message other places as well.
MagnusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusW View Post
- - - -
PS: I'm posting on a couple of threads like this, sorry if some of you might see this message other places as well.
Please read Section 3 of: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #25
MagnusW
MagnusW began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry, I will of course comply (there was only one duplicate luckily).

Thanks!
MagnusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #26
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No, it wouldn't. If anything, a low-contrast EPD in insufficient light could worsen whatever problems the poster attributes to LCDs.

Of course, if he's squinting to read LCDs in bright direct light with lots of glare, then a reflective screen will be a good change. Somehow though, I doubt that's the case.
You don't understand how e-ink works.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #27
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusW View Post
I am an entrepreneur that is currently developing a dedicated e-ink external monitor that is easy to use and dedicated to being the best possible monitor solution (not an e-reader). I am reaching out to people who seem interested in a product like this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you personally would like such a product to work. At this point in my development your input could become real-world features. Hit me with comment and we could have a talk!

Best,
- Magnus

I would like to replace my current LCD monitor with a large e-ink screen. I use my computer mainly for reading texts/forums/news/mails on internet. I would switch to my current LCD monitor (or to a video-projector) only to watch videos/movies once a day. So I would buy an e-ink monitor of a normal size for a typical PC monitor, between 21" and 27", with a resolution at least equal to 1920*1080, the more the better. Of course such an e-ink monitor would need to work without the black flash we often see when turning pages while reading an e-book on a Kindle/Kobo/Sony.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You don't understand how e-ink works.
You realize you just responded to a post that is nearly four years old?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Nope. Someone necro-posted. And still no e-ink moniter
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #30
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast

Hi MagnusW,

Thanks for soliciting comments for your project.. I would be very interested in a battery-powered, e-ink monitor (any size) that connects via VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI. A USB monitor wouldn't be as attractive; why bother with drivers, etc when the Kindle already performs well as both an e-ink monitor and an e-reader?

Aloha,

Miles