Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
comments and q on new pocket pro 5 inch

First the good:

-light
-nice soft feel to it : love it. hated the kindle 2 metalish slippery back
-pdf support looks good for simple stuff
-price for case, charger, sd card, ear buds, all in one package is amazing
-faster than prs 300
-blue is amazing
-screen crisp
-light

bad
-dont like the rt menu lever, too sharp -- kinda hurts pressing if not careful.
-no auto shut off
- wish i could customize buttons to choose other page turns button or make menu button on bottem right the next page button

brilliant device....
love it.

wow, the geeks (me included) sure know how to pick a good one. Im glad i did not just flock over to the sony 300.

cheers mates.

oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

does anyone know if having adobe pdf acrobat makes a difference in pdf reflow or quality? Ive always used a generic free pdf reader. Will that matter. I use xpdf something?
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
bad:
-no auto shut off
By that, do you mean auto-keyboard lock? Or real power-down?
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
oncdoc
Addict

real power down
Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
real power down
Well the PP does not use power when sitting there idle, power is only consumed when you turn a page or turn on/off the unit or load books. Whilst sitting there on the page reading no consumption of the battery takes place, so auto power down is not really needed.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
oncdoc
Addict

thanks. that helps. just leave it be then.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
oncdoc
Addict

i pressed the power button once and keylock came on.

is that powered down?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I pressed the power button once and keylock came on.

is that powered down?
No, that's the same state (effectively) as when you're reading a book, except that the display is (sort of) blanked, and all buttons are ignored EXCEPT for the on/off button. In other words, it just does what it says: locks the keyboard. But the power consumption is the same as all other times: EXTREMELY low, but not zero.

When you press and HOLD the on/off button for a second or two, then the unit will close your current book and actually "power down", so that the only power lost from the battery is normal "leakage" that any battery suffers. However, the difference in power usage between "keyboard lock" state and "powered down" state is SO little that most folks never "power down" their unit, but just put keyboard lock on when not reading, because sometimes buttons can get accidentally pressed with the cover closed, changing your place in your book.

You have to remember that e-Ink is a radically different display technology from pretty much any other display technology out there. All of the others require the constant expenditure of power to keep the display SHOWING something. e-Ink require power only to CHANGE what's being displayed. Once that's done, you can open the battery door, remove the battery, and whatever was last displayed will remain there until well after you die and turn to dust, or until the display is physically broken, whichever comes first... That's why, with an e-Ink device, you generally never need to worry about trying to "conserve battery power."
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
- wish i could customize buttons to choose other page turns button or make menu button on bottem right the next page button
If I understand you right, then they already did what you ask. The "0" key pages forward and the "9" key pages back, except when there are hyperlinks, indicated by an underline under text anywhere on the screen. When there are hyperlinks in a document the "0" key moves the focus the the first on the page, then down link by link. The selected hyperlink is indicated by a double-underline beneath the selected link (you activate the link with the "OK" key, which is the right side of the big round one at the bottom).

I agree that it would be nice if the PPro was a little more customizable. I'd like to see them add another 90-degree turn of the page so that the page forward and page back keys would be under my right hand.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote