Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
groney
groney began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Bricked/Needs repair PW3

Hello.
I received a PW3 Kindle which was stuck on the tree loading screen, so i've started searching and reading how to bring it back to live.. I read a lot of tuts, tried most of them, didn't try the one with "Create an empty file in the root directory DO_FACTORY_RESTORE." because I saw it too late..

What I have tried...
-download few versions of update*.bin file from amazon site
-connected pw3 via serial usb to PC and from factory menu chose E(export FAT), placed the file and then option Update from fat.. result was error:4
and after the fail, when leave it to boot kindle says:
Quote:
Press [ENTER] for recovery menu... 0 /BOOTING DEFAULT.
IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: Unable to mount root fs on device dev(179,1)
kinit: init not found!
before the update to fail it was trying to load..after the fail... just the tree

after that...
- downloaded kindletool, extracted update*.bin, took uImage file and flash it
Quote:
./fastboot flash kernel uImage
terminal window with fastboot says OKEY to read and write, but the terminal with serial connection to Kindle says:
Quote:
Error! Couldn't find NV variable has-slot:kernel
Error! Couldn't find NV variable max-download-size
Error! Couldn't find NV variable is-logical:kernel
downloading
done
flashing kernel to MMC1, partition 0
done.
in one of the treads was written to flash diags_kernel , not just kernel... the respond was the same..

Till this point I had access to FAT partition, but in some point I got mad that nothing happens after so much tries and reading..sooo I got into recovery and chose Erase MMC0 Thought I'll do like other..Erase All and tuts could work, but...while it was erasing..it got stuck and now it says Kindle need repair, no storage visible to copy *.bin file..just serial connection, uboot, bist and recovery.

And this is the output if leaved to boot:
Quote:
flag type first last lba first lba size
Partition p1:
0x00 0x0b 16 <large> 16 6483952
CHS: 0/1/1 - <large>
Partition p2:
Partition p3:
Partition p4:
BOOTING DEFAULT.
IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: Unable to mount root fs on device dev(179,1)
kinit: init not found!
In some point kindle said "wiki: j5_rootfs_repartitioning"

Is there any chance of fixing it, except contacting Amazon?
groney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
*) Amazon will not fix it.
They don't have a clue, even if it wasn't against company policy.

*) In all of your reading, did you come across the advice "Never try 'Erase All' because it works"?

*) There is a rather long thread here on how to recover from "Erase All".
Lots of attached log files so you can tell when your result begins to deviate from that expected at each point in the thread.

*) Tried multiple update files from Amazon?
List them (in order if possible) please.

*) Did you read about how it is impossible to load the main image file with fastboot?
PS: Where did you get the diag kernel and image you tried to load?
OR: Did you mean you tried to install the main kernel and/or main image with the fastboot command(s) for the diags system?

*) whatever terminal emulator you are using, enable communications logging to a file, reboot the device, when it stops trying to start, compress the communications log and attach to your next post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
groney

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
*) In all of your reading, did you come across the advice "Never try 'Erase All' because it works"?
Yep..and everyone was starting from there..so I thought if I start from there as well it might work, well....it didn't.

Quote:
*) Tried multiple update files from Amazon?
List them (in order if possible) please.

*) Did you read about how it is impossible to load the main image file with fastboot?
PS: Where did you get the diag kernel and image you tried to load?
OR: Did you mean you tried to install the main kernel and/or main image with the fastboot command(s) for the diags system?
First copied this into Kindle storage:
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.11.2.bin - latest in Amazon site
then this one:
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.4.bin

Both failed, so I got into uboot, then bist, then fastboot, because I thought this is the way to flash the kernel with command from another opened terminal "./fastboot flash kerner uImage "(in one of the many posts and threads don't remember which one someone said the command should be "./fastboot flash diags_kernel uImage") with those files:

- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.11.2.bin;
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.4.bin;
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.10.bin;

Big chance I haven't understood the tuts and done it wrong..

Quote:
*) whatever terminal emulator you are using, enable communications logging to a file, reboot the device, when it stops trying to start, compress the communications log and attach to your next post.
Log file is from rebooting with holding power button to the point where it's stuck now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindleLog.zip (1.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groney View Post
- - - - - -
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.11.2.bin;
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.4.bin;
- update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.10.bin;

Big chance I haven't understood the tuts and done it wrong..
- - - - - -
Yup, you got it.

Those (each) are packages of files.
Fastboot is NOT a package installer, only a file installer.

Use our Kindletool to convert any of those packages to a compressed archive.
Then de-compress and un-archive that archive output by Kindletool.
There you will find an image file of the filesystem and a u-image file (which contains the kernel).

Note 1: The Kindles are "dual boot" -
The "Main" system image file is too big for fastboot to properly handle.
The "Diag" system image (not provided by Amazon - only here*) file is small enough for fastboot to copy.

Nore 2: The two systems are DIFFERENT, do not try to install the the "Main" system or kernel (u-image) into the "Diags" storage space - it will not fit, fastboot will not tell you or save your ass.
If you do try this, you can post "Used screen for sale" on ebay.

*) I have a script posted here that will backup both the main and the diags system of a pw3.
Contact someone who has a working pw3, ask them to run it and send you the diags u-image and diags system image files.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
groney

Those update*.bin files I uploaded to Kindle usb storage to update its self, but it failed. After that I used Kindletool to extract files from update*.bin(kindletool extract update*.bin) and from wario folder I think it was, used uImage file to try to flash it with fastboot. Which uImage I've tried to flash on kernel and after I saw the post into diags_kernel.. don't know if it was pretty much succsessful.. so Kindle could be already just a screen?

This someone with working pw3 should be from here(good person from forum who is checking this thread), because I don't know no one around me with kindle.

Tomorrow I'll try this:
Quote:
There you will find an image file of the filesystem and a u-image file (which contains the kernel).
If it's possible for you to write some dummy steps, not to mess something again If it's not too late of course.
Advert
Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Those are the dummy steps.
Except for how to use Kindletool - which has built-in help file. (and ships with a readme file).
Just enter the program's name, nothing else, and it will output its help file to the screen.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
groney

Quote:

Note 1: The Kindles are "dual boot" -
The "Main" system image file is too big for fastboot to properly handle.
The "Diag" system image (not provided by Amazon - only here*) file is small enough for fastboot to copy.

*) I have a script posted here that will backup both the main and the diags system of a pw3.
Contact someone who has a working pw3, ask them to run it and send you the diags u-image and diags system image files.
I used "./kindletool convert update*.bin" , then extracted it with "tar" there are few files, a folder imx60_wario, and inside is uImage(this is the same image I got with "./kindletool extract " and tried to copy it ).. Which I can't copy via fastboot? The only way now is to find someone who can send me his files? Am I getting it right?
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Except production firmwares are for main, not diags, so, yep, you need diags dumps from a real live human.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Except production firmwares are for main, not diags, so, yep, you need diags dumps from a real live human.
The backup script of mine DOES create both diag kernel and diag image files.
It even tests the uimage file for correctness.
If you use the diag kernel (uimage) from my script, it will either work or your copy of fastboot is screwed.

There are over 300,000 members here, you should be able to find someone to make you a copy of what you need from the backup script.

PS: The fastboot for our grayscale Kindles IS DIFFERENT from an Android fastboot, you must get that correct.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Out of curiosity, is this a diag package?
https://mega.nz/#!6vwjQaiI!HTkW8833k...WcDc6hwZT-eOSU

Alas, this came from a PW4.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Out of curiosity, is this a diag package?
https://mega.nz/#!6vwjQaiI!HTkW8833k...WcDc6hwZT-eOSU

Alas, this came from a PW4.
I do not think so.
IIRC, I include the terms "diag" and "main" in the backup script (and I don't think my script will properly create backups for the "Androidized" systems).
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I do not think so.
IIRC, I include the terms "diag" and "main" in the backup script (and I don't think my script will properly create backups for the "Androidized" systems).
Ah, I didn’t actually use the backup scripts. I found this signed FB02 100MB package while searching for factory firmware from an OOB PW4 image.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ah, I didn’t actually use the backup scripts. I found this signed FB02 100MB package while searching for factory firmware from an OOB PW4 image.
Hmmm....
OK then, I'll look into it this weekend.
It really is too small for a "Main" system, and PW4 == Androidized, so it might be interesting.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #14
SenorClean
SenorClean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW3, PW4(Bricked)
Quote:
Interesting - here is update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.10.0.1_facto ry.bin vs this image

https://imgur.com/8fTHUgO
SenorClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That would clearly point to diags .

No idea about the kernel situation since the hybrid Android layouts, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, dead, needs repair, pw3