Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question PRS 500 battery indicator

I have a PRS 500 that I bought on eBay in February. I usually charge it with the charger that came with it which plugs into the wall. When I plug in the charger, the red light comes on. If I leave it plugged in to charge overnight the red light is off in the morning. This should mean that it is fully charged, but the indicator shows only two boxes (50%).

Is the problem with the indicator or with the battery? I.e. is it fully charged but not showing as such, or is it only holding a partial charge?

Normally it wouldn't really matter, but I am going on a week-long vacation and trying to decide if I need to pack the charger.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if you have a 500 with the infamous "battery meter bug". It's a bug in the display of the battery meter; there was a firmware update which fixed it, which you should be able to download from Sony's support site.

To correct the display of the battery meter, turn on the Reader and plug in the wall charger. Leaving the Reader turned on, disconnect the charger plug from the Reader, wait a couple of seconds, then plug it back in again. The battery meter should immediately jump to "full". Unplug the charger again.

Best to get the firmware update and fix it, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
Is the problem with the indicator or with the battery? I.e. is it fully charged but not showing as such, or is it only holding a partial charge?
Ok, to elaborate on what Harry said. The first firmware update broke the batter meter. The second one fixed it. The original firmware didn't have the problem.

So, if you have the 500 make sure your firmware is up to date.

Once you do this, a hard reset causing a reboot usually resolves this issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote