Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
kobo owners who are travelling

hi for those travelling with the KOBO touch.. how do you manager to power it ?? my daughter wants to take kobo on trip .. and her trip is about 3.5 weeks .. with no access to compute.... any thoughts ??
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
hi for those travelling with the KOBO touch.. how do you manager to power it ?? my daughter wants to take kobo on trip .. and her trip is about 3.5 weeks .. with no access to compute.... any thoughts ??
I recommend a look to this site. My solution is this gadget and i'm very satisfied. It's worth the money and costs only $20. Works with 4 standard or rechargeable AA batteries to power the KT. There is also a solar charger, but you cannot replace the battery.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
You can get a charger that just plugs into the mains.
Alternatively if you have a modern mobile phone charger (those mini usb type chargers) you can use one of them.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
You can get a charger that just plugs into the mains.
Alternatively if you have a modern mobile phone charger (those mini usb type chargers) you can use one of them.
Oops - thought automatically, there's no mains power For places with power outlet danskmacabre's solution is definitely better, of course.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
Oops - thought automatically, there's no mains power For places with power outlet danskmacabre's solution is definitely better, of course.

If you're on the move a lot even then you should have access to power in a hotel, airport, even many cafes these days.

Of course you could just get a solar charger:
http://www.gomadic.com/kobo-ereader-...y-charger.html

Unless you don't have the sun where you are..
I guess that excludes us from the UK then..

Or a car charger:
http://www.gomadic.com/kobo-ereader-...e-charger.html
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
You can pick up a universal AC-USB charger pretty cheap these days almost anywhere. Don't pay more than $10. Even a fairly small one would suffice to recharge the Kobo. If you need portable power, look into one of the battery-powered USB chargers like http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aa-batt...ger-pack-15048 or http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2200mah...le-black-44914. I carry one when I'm traveling with the Kobo in case it runs out of power during a long trip and there's no AC adapter nearby.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
The "iGo Power Extender" has been a companion for quite some time for me - simply pop in two AA batteries and plug it into the device that needs juice.

http://www.igo.com/powerxtender-char...t/ps002640004/

The thing sells for U$ 10.00 at many US airports, comes with one "tip" (adapter for one device). I need two tips: mini-USB and Apple Dock Connector and I can keep both fone and reader juiced on long flights.
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I've been quite happy with http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5V-input-2A-o...-/160725747523 . It keeps my Vox running without a charger for about 12 hours. You do need to purchase the 18650 batteries separately.

I have no idea how long that would keep the Touch charged but I suspect it would be months at several hours reading per month. You charge it using a USB port over night. And of course you can use it to keep just about any USB chargeable device going. (Other than 2 amp devices such as iPad stuff.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote