Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question Can you take notes on an e-Book Reader?

Was thinking of buying the Kobo Touch reader but since I often write notes on bits of paper to remind me of things, I though it might be useful to be able to do this on an eReader instead. I know there is an app called AK Notepad for the Kobo Vox (which runs Android) but I have ruled this out due to the bad reviews and particularly the poor battery life.

It seems that if you want decent batterly life (essential for an e-Book Reader) then you have to go for on with an mono eInk screen rather than a TFT. So is there a notepad app for the Kobo Touch that would allow me to write and save simple plain text notes? I understand the device runs on Linux so there is presumably some app that can be uploaded to it?

PS, is it also true that the Kobo Touch as a hiden built-in Sudoku game?
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
The Sudoku is no longer hidden, being in the Extras menu now.

As for note-taking, it only lets you add notes to phrases you highlight in a book and you can call up all of your annotations for that book via a menu option while the book is open. There is no general note-taking ability, however, outside of books.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
As for note-taking, it only lets you add notes to phrases you highlight in a book and you can call up all of your annotations for that book via a menu option while the book is open. There is no general note-taking ability, however, outside of books.
... which means that if you create an special ebook for the purpose you can use it as your note taking "app". Simply create a book containing:

"Note 1

Note 2

Note 3 ..."

Then just open the book, highlight an available phrase and enter your note.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
That's a good idea. I guess you could hand-write your notes in the Sketch app as well.

Personally I find the keyboard on the KT too slow and too small to be practical for note-taking. I can type fast enough on my 10" HP TouchPad and my 3.5" iPod Touch with capacitive touch screens, but typing on the KT is a bit slow and frustrating, with a high error rate. For occasional use it's fine, but it's just not a note-taking device.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
That's a good idea. I guess you could hand-write your notes in the Sketch app as well.

Personally I find the keyboard on the KT too slow and too small to be practical for note-taking. I can type fast enough on my 10" HP TouchPad and my 3.5" iPod Touch with capacitive touch screens, but typing on the KT is a bit slow and frustrating, with a high error rate. For occasional use it's fine, but it's just not a note-taking device.
I find typing on the KT very fast, the keyboard is just the right size to use both your thumbs for typing.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Is there any way to export the notes?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Assuming you are writing your notes into an epub file, you can transfer that file to your computer, in a similar fashion you used when you transferred the original (almost blank) epub file to the Kobo
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
TheBard: Thank you. What about notes on PDF files? Can the notes also be exported?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
Assuming you are writing your notes into an epub file, you can transfer that file to your computer, in a similar fashion you used when you transferred the original (almost blank) epub file to the Kobo
I wasn't aware you could add/delete anything from an epub file within the KT. :P Learn something everyday..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Assuming you are using the included sketch app you can export the resulting PNG file by simply connecting your KT to your computer and copying the file.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I find typing on the KT very fast, the keyboard is just the right size to use both your thumbs for typing.
It's all relative. The KT takes a firmer touch than a capacitive touch screen, it's a little less accurate, and most importantly it only reacts about half as fast. You can get used to it, but it will never be as fast, and it's hard to go back and forth between the KT and tablets with capacitive touch screens because your typing rhythm is thrown off. If you are typing occasional brief notes like "look up this ref" it's probably fine, but not if you're trying to take class notes and keep up with a lecture.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I also think that Calibre has support for importing annotations but I don't remember how.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Quote:
TheBard: Thank you. What about notes on PDF files? Can the notes also be exported?
Sorry, I have not tried making annotations on Kobo PDF files.
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
I wasn't aware you could add/delete anything from an epub file within the KT. :P Learn something everyday..
You can't. The suggestion was building a special epub to use as a notes file - a bunch of random lines or words you could use as placeholders purely so you can use the annotations feature to keep notes.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been mentioned, you can attach notes to highlighted text in epub and kepubs. You can't do this for PDFs. I don't ind the keyboard to hard to use, but I have at most put about 20 characters in the note.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to get them off the KT. For kepubs, the Kobo desktop application will retrieve them. Put it has no ability to print or extract them elsewhere. For epubs, Calibre has an experimental option to retrieve the notes to the comments field. While this works, I don't find it very practical.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote