Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Screen Filter

Can someone help me get the "Screen Filter". If I do so my Kindle, I get a message that I don't have an Android Phone, and it doesn't download or install. If I try to get it from my PC I'm only given the "Install" option, not the download, so I can't bring it into the Kindle by PC to Kindle wire. This incidentally is what also annoys me about the Kindle Fire, I spend hours trying to put a simple App on it, and one which should have been installed anyway. Why for that matter isn't there something for reading in bright sunlight? And why the glare screen?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
It was a while ago, and I'm a noob when it comes to Android, but I'm pretty sure I downloaded it to my computer for free from one of the alternate sites here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157520&page=2
as an APK file then sideloaded and installed on my fire...I'll try to remember which site and get back to you if someone doesn't beat me to it.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is where I got it from (I'm pretty sure!) http://download.pandaapp.com/android....2-id5112.html... as the directions say, downloads as a zip and you just rename the the file type as .apk, then sideload to your fire and install.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Give screen dim a try it's so much better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Give screen dim a try it's so much better.
@Blossom - I've been lurking on the thread where you've been beta testing .... it looks interesting, but what do you think is the greatest advantage of ScreenDim over Screen Filter? Is it sharper or just easier to navigate?
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
kdoc
Enthusiast

Thanks so far; I'll await Blossom's comment before trying one. Is screen dim available, or only to those of you beta testers?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 12-24-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I am in NC right now for Christmas and have very limited access with my Fire.it

Screen Dim is much better because it uses a different method of dimming the screen which means it looks less washed out. You have two controls with SD you can bring the brightness down even further then the default min setting. You can also bring down the contrast. It also gives you presets and stays in the notification area if you want it to.

Screen Filter is just a grey layer on top the screen that you can change the transparency on.

Screen Dim has a 10 day trial you can download at the end of the thread I posted above. You can buy the full on the Market if you have access. Pruss is looking for a better way to get it available to everyone. It is worth the 99 cents as it makes it easier on the eyes when reading at night.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
kdoc
Enthusiast

I think he might have pulled it--can't seem to get to it.

kdoc
Old 12-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
I think he might have pulled it--can't seem to get to it.

kdoc
It's in this post.