Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, iPhone
e-book with ability to take notes

Hi all, very long time no posts...been setting up my own company which has taken all my time ....anyway, knowing the huge amount of knowledge here I have a question?

I love my i-Rex Iliad for the simple reason I can make notes on it. From a business perspective, it replaced 3 years worth of spiral notebooks so I have 3 years worth of handwritten meeting notes all in the one easy to carry e-reader. It freaks out my clients when I pull up notes from a meeting we had 18 months ago. Every time I see a client, I simply add extra pages to the notes.

I've come to rely on this feature so as I'm looking to replace my iRex Iliad, I need an e-reader that can take handwritten notes, preferably with a stylus...... tried the iPad (capacitive) and found the soft tip pen really clunky.
  1. Prefer a 10" screen, A4 or US letter size
  2. Don't want to annotate a book, just make handwritten notes.
  3. Tried a Sony in Borders, but could only get one page per file. Was I doing something wrong?
  4. Asus have one but only 8" screen
  5. Pocketbook 903????

Folks, your advice greatly appreciated

Nigel db
nigeldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Entourage Edge (EE) has 9.7 inch e-ink screen and offers 'journal' function to let users make handwritten notes. Of course, you can also annotate PDFs as well.

One thing to note is that the weight is around 3 lbs so EE is not particularly light. If you need a light weight note taker, EE may not be a good option. Otherwise, it is very good ebook reader and note taker overall.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hi Soilwork, hadn't know about that one! Looks preety good and I like the ease of the note taking.

Initial Negatives = weight and support in Aus.

...but i'll add it to the list. Now al I need to find is a 1lb unit with just the e-reader and note taking functionality.......

Thanxs
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Boox M90 not available yet but will be in a month or so.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
nigeldb
email tragic

Hi Dulins...now that looks more like it... Hope the note taking folder functionality is up to scratch....the Iliad is a tad clunky.

Nigel db

Wow, just spotted the Asus eeeNote....looks perfect!!

Last edited by nigeldb; 03-09-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldb View Post
Wow, just spotted the Asus eeeNote....looks perfect!!
We recently sold an Asus eeeNote to a customer. It was so neat to have it to play with for a few days before delivery! I think you'll really enjoy it.

Whoops - nevermind. What we sold our client was an Asus eeePC with a screen that rotates to fold back onto the keyboard, making it a slightly heavy pseudo-tablet. The screen is a touch screen (when used with Windows) and it would easily function the way you want it to - with an e-reader app or with regular word processor or other applications.

Last edited by bevdeforges; 03-09-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: realized the eeeNote is not the product I thought it was
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote