Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #61
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I think the niche for the roll-out screen will be as a novelty item, e.g. a pen that rolls out to a paperback page size. Do you want to hold the scroll with both hands to keep it straight? Maybe we will have a telescopic support that locks the roll-out screen into a rigid page.

But what then of the paperback-sized screen we want to roll-out in two dimensions to create an A4 sized screen? How is the screen folded to begin with? There are some conceptual problems here that may make the two dimensional roll-out impractical.

I would like a pen that becomes a book. Maybe as a low-end device it could be very cheap, once eInk itself comes down in price.

Whatever happened to the heads-up display that could appear to be a four foot screen out in front of us? Now that would be a portable reader!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #62
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think that the aims of some of these are rather contradictory? I wouldn't want to carry around an "A4" sized phone, or read on a 1" screen .
dear, it will be foldable

anyway, ofcourse you would like your ebook reader to have GPS to check out maps, to have EGDE to check your email on the go, etc etc

Last edited by user; 10-04-2007 at 10:19 AM.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #63
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I think the niche for the roll-out screen will be as a novelty item, e.g. a pen that rolls out to a paperback page size. Do you want to hold the scroll with both hands to keep it straight? Maybe we will have a telescopic support that locks the roll-out screen into a rigid page.

But what then of the paperback-sized screen we want to roll-out in two dimensions to create an A4 sized screen? How is the screen folded to begin with? There are some conceptual problems here that may make the two dimensional roll-out impractical.

I would like a pen that becomes a book. Maybe as a low-end device it could be very cheap, once eInk itself comes down in price.

Whatever happened to the heads-up display that could appear to be a four foot screen out in front of us? Now that would be a portable reader!
If you follow these device's approach you could apply them to present large draft paper carrying tubes. But they do look fragile unless the first one is taken.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #64
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Ivan, the second and third look viable. I seriously doubt you could fold one of these and have any reasonable product life.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #65
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Isn't the 3rd (and the 4th for that matter) an actual commercial product in Italy? Or was it Spain?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #66
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Third and fourth are the same. It's the Readius, we've discussed it here before. Sorry guys I should have URL'd the sources. The other two I've lost. I have a habit of collecting the pictures of new devices, I should rename them with the proper URL.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote