Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Stolen PRS-505 - Melbourne, Australia

Hi all,

some bad news to report as my PRS-505 was stolen from a cafe in Melbourne yesterday. I have the serial number of it and there can't be many 505's in Melbourne as they are not readily available. So if any one hears of one for sale second hand please let me know. It won't come with CD, packaging or cables as I still have those. It is the dark blue model and has about 10 Sci-Fi books on it.

The reader was lifted out of my bag as I went to the washroom and my wife went to put a tip in the tip jar
You can never get to comfortable it seems.

I have only had it for a few months but have read quite a few books with it. I will definitely be getting another reader but probably not for a while as the Australia dollar is doing so bad (currently 66US cents to our dollar and I got the read at 98US cents to the dollar).

I had just started a great new book as well!
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I am so sorry to hear that. I think the only time I have left my Kindle (and my purse) behind is when I was at the meetup in Houston last weekend. But, if you can't trust your stuff with a bunch of MR members, then you might as well just give up and put a gun to your head.

I do hope you get it back. For that matter, I hope the world economy gets better, and quick. I also hope that the thief gets caught ... and gets what by rights should be coming to him/her.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm sorry to hear about this.
It could be worth checking your home insurance to see whether you are covered against theft of personal items outside the house.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
That's a good reason to personalize your Reader. It can be done via software or with an etching tool. It won't prevent a theft, but at least you can definitively prove the Reader is yours if it turns up in a pawn shop.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If you buy a new one install a GPS chip inside it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
That's a good reason to personalize your Reader. It can be done via software or with an etching tool. It won't prevent a theft, but at least you can definitively prove the Reader is yours if it turns up in a pawn shop.
I think Serial number is adequate for that. But, you need to record it. Does everyone have all their tech s/ns written in a file somewhere and stored off site?

I know I don't. This gives me motivation to do it.

BOb

PS: GO Rays!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
Hi all,

some bad news to report as my PRS-505 was stolen from a cafe in Melbourne yesterday. I have the serial number of it and there can't be many 505's in Melbourne as they are not readily available. So if any one hears of one for sale second hand please let me know. It won't come with CD, packaging or cables as I still have those. It is the dark blue model and has about 10 Sci-Fi books on it.
Well, that suck-diddly-ucks. As someone mentioned, look into the fine details of your home insurance policy, as on some rare occasions the small print actually works in your favour.

Keep an eye out on ebay, and the trading post, and oztion, and cash converters online, and the like as well. I know with ebay you can set up a search that alerts you to new items listed (either via newsfeed or email), and the others might have something similar. If you want to try identify the serial number, fake an innocent question like "The screens were changed by Sony at one point, so can you tell me the serial number?".

I don't know if Sony DRM works similar to Mobipocket, but, if so, and your device PID is registered with the Sony Connect store to support DRMed purchases (assuming you ever used it so - I realise that from Oz this is of reduced probability), you might want to contact them to see if they can track if someone starts registering purchases on it. (This is merely hypothetical on my part - I have no idea how Sony DRM works...hell, I can't say I'm completely sure how Mobipocket DRM works on my Iliad ).

Again, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
I feel for you.

Brings to mind something -- Does everyone have their name and phone number labeled (engraved, Brother sticker-labeled, etc.) on the back of their reader, their laptop, their phone, iPod, etc.?

"I know I don't" (to quote Bob). I thought about this the last time I lost my Treo. There are lots of moral, responsible people in this world. Even if your item gets stolen, and certainly if it gets left behind or lost, a good person may come across it at some point, and if you're identified, you have a much better chance of getting it back.

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
I feel for you.

Brings to mind something -- Does everyone have their name and phone number labeled (engraved, Brother sticker-labeled, etc.) on the back of their reader, their laptop, their phone, iPod, etc.?
I don't, because I re-sell most of my gadgets. Any non-permanent ID can be removed. Any permanent ID makes the device virtually unsellable.

My house insurance covers theft of devices even outside the home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Awww, that sucks! I'm sorry you've lost your reader, I'd be frantic without mine.....and just having started a new book, how frustrating. Let's hope the Aussie dollar rallies (but not before I've managed to shift some funds back home) and you can buy a nice 700!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
A quick and easy way I personalized my reader is here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23880

If you don't have your serial number handy, there is no arguing with proving it's yours when it has your picture ID in it. Sure, they can remove it if they have the software, but if they are stealing it to sell it, they probably aren't going to clear out anything from it.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Bummer! I once left my reader on the treadmill at the gym and didn't realize it for 20 minutes. When I noted my error, I ran back to the treadmill to find it right where I'd left it. Whew!

My first thought, when I read your post, was that it was a MobileRead member who took it. After all, we are a bunch of out-of-control bookworms. But then, whoever of us it was, having discovered the ten books on the reader, would probably still be sitting there reading away oblivious to all else.

Last edited by MickeyC; 10-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I was going to post what Marc already did, but it's worth repeating: tell Sony the device has been stolen, so that if the new "owner" ever tries to register it with them, they will at least be aware. I'm not sure what they could do about it, however.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't, because I re-sell most of my gadgets. Any non-permanent ID can be removed. Any permanent ID makes the device virtually unsellable.

My house insurance covers theft of devices even outside the home.
I also re-sell many of my gadgets. I have never defaced something with an engraver. However, my point was that it may be worth labeling with removable ID because there do exist honest people and you'll improve your chances of recovery. If you lose an electronic device in a public place, even if found by an honest person, what can they do with it if it's not labeled?

Also remember, insurance is collective risk management. As such, we all pay for insurance claims. I would think maximizing the chance of recovery would be a virtue.

I've had things returned to me.

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Thanks for the support

Unfortunately the cafe never rang back to say someone found it

Now I will start calling insurance and the Visa company to see if there is anyway I can get some money back on it.

I will also let Sony know and see if they can lock it out of the system.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote