Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Thunderfist
Thunderfist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Dead Kobo Mini - hardware? firmware?

Greetings,

A friend asked me to look at her Kobo Mini. It doesn't power up anymore. She indicated that she did damage it so she figures it won't be covered under the warranty but I can only see one small gouge on the front bezel.

The screen shows the powered off icon only. When you try to start it, the led goes green, then blue, and then blinks green for a while then stops. Same result if the reset button is pressed.

I have tried various combinations of holding the power button for 20 seconds or depressing the reset and holding the power button but nothing changes. It has been plugged into my computer and into a wall charger.

Opening up the unit, the video and battery connections look okay. I popped the sd card out and can see the directories in Linux but I have no idea whether there is any issue with corrupted file.

Any other suggestions to try? I am leaning towards a hardware problem but are there anythings I could do with the SD card ensure the problem isn't there?

Thanks, James
Thunderfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have my mother-in-laws Touch that does something similar. Originally, the top half of screen was frozen and the bottom half updated OK. Now the whole screen is frozen.

You could try plugging it into a PC. If the PC detects it and shows the drive, it probably is the screen. The only problem with this is that the device prompts you to connect to the PC when plugged in. I don't have Mini to check, but the button is probably about two thirds of the way down and bit to the right of centre. The owner might have a better idea exactly where to press.

If you can't get it to connect to the PC, it might be something other than the screen If you think it is a problem with the SD card, you could make a request here for an image from a Mini. Putting that on the card might get it going again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Plugging it into the computer will definitely give you hints about what could be wrong.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Thunderfist
Thunderfist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unfortunately, the computer doesn't recognize it when I plug it in. So it is not just the screen.
Thunderfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Did you make sure the Mini was one when you plugged it in? If it was off, then the PC won't see it. With it on, you still have the issue of pressing the "Connect" button.

But, it does sound like it is dead.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, kobo mini