Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Yes, digital information needs to be maintained. OTOH, maintenance is usually simple, if one does it in a timely manner. Most of the "horror stories" come from people/organizations who wouldn't bother to do that maintenance until the tech was so old that conversion methods had been scrapped. 8" floppy drive in 2022? Why hadn't they been converted decades ago to 5 1/4" floppies in the 1980's, and those to 3 1/2 (or hard drives) in the 1990's? (and those multiply backed up?) A days work both times.
As to why the discs had never been converted? I did the majority of the conversion back in the early 90s to 3.5" floppies. This last set was missed then as it was sitting on the wrong shelf in the back of the corporate vault. When it was found during a move to a new office, I was contacted and asked if it was possible to do anything with them since their records showed me as having been paid for converting the original batch. I agreed to give it a try. See my previous message for how that worked out. Personally, I think I was over-paid but the customer was happy since I was a lot less expensive than a "professional" conversion outfit quoted. Probably the last time I will ever power on that box with the two Qume 8" drives but it was nice to find out that they still worked.

And BTW, it took more than a day's work the first time out. Those old floppies were fast compared to most of their contemporary storage media but slow by today's standards and the required conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII didn't help.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:03 AM   #32
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
If only they had employed a Sun/FreeBSD greybeard. Would've told them to use a ZFS RAID.
That was perhaps around the time the Internet Archive switched to using ZFS.

See https://netpreserve.org/about-us/mem...ernet-archive/

I've no idea if they're still using it, or Oracle, but ZFS makes a massive amount of sense for them. Bit rot is definitely a thing, especially when you've got lots of bits.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #33
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
If you like old films, there are also ones completely lost in time too, like:

which was actually shot a few weeks after the Titanic sunk, with an actual actress who survived the shipwreck (wearing the same exact clothes)!

If you're interested in that type of stuff, check out the:

And every so often, someone appears with some long-lost versions, sitting in someone's private vault somewhere:

(Like lost episodes of "Dr. Who" pop up every few years!)
Mentioned in the Wikipedia article, but a lot of old silent films were lost when a warehouse caught on fire in 1937.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Dr Who wasn't lost. It and others were deliberately wiped for reuse (to save less than £200 per episode on video tape) or in case of film, destroyed to save pennies on storage costs. BBC Bean counters destroying culture. Stuff made in ITV in UK mostly survives. Yet BBC had/has archives of sound back to 1922.

The reasons for lost ciinema films is very varied. There was a very good "The Doll" from Tales of Hoffman, though there is a ballet based on the same story.
I think all of ground-breaking Metropolis has been recovered, though a few bits are poor quality. The original VHS had a lot missing. Unfortunately the complete BD has only the captions in the original German, no subtitles. Still, Fritz Lang was a genius and you can mostly follow without caption catds as it's a silent film, though with a good music score.

Before polyester/PET/Mylar AKA Safety Film, film was inflammable and original cellulose Nitrate film was explosively inflammable as it's related to "gun cotton".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I've no idea if they're still using it, or Oracle,
Some long running websites are still using Oracle as MS SQL was only "new" (Bought in from Sybase at about V.6.0) and Oracle had Web server APIs. IBM DB2 was more suited to non-Web servers. Those are now on Linux servers but the original Web servers used Solaris on Sun boxes.

A huge amount of work to change to MySQL (or MariaDB now), so they keep paying the Oracle licence money.
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #36
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think all of ground-breaking Metropolis has been recovered, though a few bits are poor quality. The original VHS had a lot missing. Unfortunately the complete BD has only the captions in the original German, no subtitles. Still, Fritz Lang was a genius and you can mostly follow without caption catds as it's a silent film, though with a good music score.
About 25% of the original cut was missing until about, I think 2007 or 2008 when someone found a backup copy in Argentina.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
About 25% of the original cut was missing until about, I think 2007 or 2008 when someone found a backup copy in Argentina.
I think a 16mm copy, but I can't follow the German sleeve notes too well!
Old 12-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #38
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
I think a 16mm copy, but I can't follow the German sleeve notes too well!
Wikipedia to the rescue!

Quote:
On 1 July 2008, film experts in Berlin announced that a 16 mm reduction negative of the original cut had been discovered in the archives of the Museo del Cine in Buenos Aires, Argentina.[95][96] The negative was a safety reduction made in the 1960s or 1970s from a 35 mm positive of Lang's original version, which an Argentinian film distributor had obtained in advance of arranging theatrical engagements in South America. The safety reduction was intended to safeguard the contents in case the original's flammable nitrate film stock was destroyed.[2] The negative was passed to a private collector, an art foundation and finally the Museo del Cine.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #39
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Digital is fine unless the format can only be opened by a program on OS/2 (worst support for a VM).

Formats and digital storage are not problems. It's DRM that's an issue for ordinary people. There isn't any DRM that can't be defeated by experts even if server is gone. See MS "Plays for sure".

Cheap paper doesn't last. The 100+ year old books don't use the paper called Pulp in 1930s. My 100+ year old books better than may 1960s to 1980s.

If you want physical print then parchment or better still, clay tablets.
Some of the 1930s children's books I'm working on for the MR library practically FEEL like clay tablets, LOL! The paper is so thick it resembles construction paper, and these books, I swear, are at LEAST 2" thick! They look and feel like tomes compared to what the same book on modern paper would be!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #40
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Every year, when there's a new set of hurricanes, killer tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, or wildfires, I think about the books being lost. Plus even the every day smaller disasters that just hit single households.

And then there are illustrated titles, where people literally cut them up and sell the illustrations for people to use as decor on eBay. I can think of a limited edition non-fiction title I own that is becoming more scarce because of this sad practice! Author died 1940, illustrator 1958, so if I live long enough, maybe MobileRead gets it. And published 1930, so not too long to be PD in the USA as well. But I'm not young...

Print, while it certainly can last a long time, is still very, very vulnerable.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:12 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Some years ago acid content in paper was a concern. Has book printing gone 100% to acid free paper or is that still something to worry about?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:50 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some years ago acid content in paper was a concern. Has book printing gone 100% to acid free paper or is that still something to worry about?
Yes it is. Only higher quality paper is acid free. Historically acidic ink was an issue too, the parchments might have holes instead of text, only a problem on double sided (Codex).