Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #46
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I get my ebooks directly from Kobo. Is it true that ebooks from Kobo are more expensive?
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
I get my ebooks directly from Kobo. Is it true that ebooks from Kobo are more expensive?
Not necessarily. It depends on where you live.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #48
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
My location is Singapore as stated.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoe View Post
I'd like to get information/opinions about the "best" place to buy ebooks.

Now that I have my first e-reader, I will be routinely adding new ebooks to my library. I had been using my tablet (Android with Moon+) as an e-reader, and sporadically getting ebooks from Gutenberg, Amazon, and various other sources. With the new e-reader (Note2), I anticipate a significant increase in ebook purchases. I currently use Calibre as my library manager, and routinely download any purchase and convert it to a standard epub format. This will continue, as I plan to add annotations to some/most files)

The genre's of interest cover:
- classics / "Great Books" / literature (e.g., Dickens, Austin, Lewis, etc.)
- Non-fiction (science)
- science fiction
- history
- biography
- etc. (it could be a very long list)

Does anyone have recommendations for the epub store that provides:
- high quality epubs
- verified translations or new releases of publications out of copyright?
- download capabilities
- format choice
- other factors that you have found to be significant?

I realize this is a fairly broad question; please don't hesitate to add clarifying factors.

Thanks in advance to your advice

Ed
Many (though not all) of the classic books are available for free right here at Mobileread.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 AM   #50
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not necessarily. It depends on where you live.
And I'd guess on the author as well. I mean books by current author's like Stephen King are no doubt going to have a purchase price a lot higher than say H.G. Wells or Mark Twain no matter what ebook format they are offered in.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #51
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
In my country, Kobo prices are not only more expensive than Kindle prices 99 times out of 100, they are also significantly more expensive than Kobo prices in other countries. However, their price match guarantee works well, and I have benefitted many times from claiming it, ending up paying less than I would have done for the Kindle version.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #52
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If it's a commercial, still in copyright book, there is but one version extant: the publisher's. eBook stores are no different from pbook stores: what they get is what they sell. If the publisher puts out a poorly edited or even unproofed book then that's what they'll sell, with few exceptions.
(If you catch it quickly, you can always return it at most ebook stores.)

--snip
"one version extant"

There are exceptions. So accidently both a UK and an US edition were made available in Germany. In the same way a book who's US title differs from UK may appear as a reprint under both titles. (C S Forester's Death to the French aka Rifleman Dodd),

The US and UK editions may also differ or there may be an edition published by the author outside North America. Baen don't implement geographic restrictions so you can buy a local publisher's edition or buy from their website no matter where you reside.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #53
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
To answer to one of the OP questions: good quality ebook depends from publisher, not from store, and may vary also within the same publisher.

Other posters talked about price: the situation is different in each country, here in Italy prices are fixed from publishers, so there are no price differences unless special offers.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #54
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Amazon is the best place for me to buy ebooks. They have a wide selection of scifi and I can take advantage of the Whispersync and get discounted audiobooks as well. I do get ebooks elsewhere, but mostly direct from a publisher (Baen, Tor). I only buy books from Kobo or B&N if I can't get them at Amazon. While I can remove DRM from B&N Books, they made it difficult (and impossible for those who lack tech skills). I still buy 5-10 books from Kobo every year.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote