Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a good series. I do think, however, that there's a tendency to make Hubbard's SF writing out to be worse than it is due to his crackpot beliefs (or, in an alternate viewpoint, extremely clever business) in Scientology. One of Hubbard's books in particular, "Battlefield Earth" (not to be confused with "Mission Earth"), I think is great Space Opera (although it was made into a quite stunningly awful film).
One contemporary review I saw of BATTLEFIELD EARTH said something like: "...Hubbard hasn't written any SF since the 30's and apparently he thinks no one else has..."

I think it was in Asimov's.

Much like Gore Vidal's Kalki, I never had any interesting in sampling his wares, for much the same meta reasons as why I have no interest in Go Set a Watchman. Some books are simply too blatant for my taste.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
One contemporary review I saw of BATTLEFIELD EARTH said something like: "...Hubbard hasn't written any SF since the 30's and apparently he thinks no one else has..."

I think it was in Asimov's.
Give it a go - you might just enjoy it. I think it's an excellent book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really don't know.
I've read Weber and Hogan and Drake. I've seen 21st century Space Opera.
The old school stuff works for me because of its historical value. Hubbard...

Maybe when I get the next root canal while I'm still numb.

(I'm having a similar problem with superhero comics; after seeing how good the genre can be on movies, TV, and in indie prose novels--all DRM and curse free, BTW-- the current storylines at Marvel and DC just don't work for me.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-10-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #49
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a good series. I do think, however, that there's a tendency to make Hubbard's SF writing out to be worse than it is due to his crackpot beliefs (or, in an alternate viewpoint, extremely clever business) in Scientology. One of Hubbard's books in particular, "Battlefield Earth" (not to be confused with "Mission Earth"), I think is great Space Opera (although it was made into a quite stunningly awful film).
Everyone has their own preferences. The world would be a terribly boring place if that weren't so. However, nearly everyone in creation would have to agree that the worst poetry in the universe was written by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Pa...stone_Jennings
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #50
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
+1 I'm certainly not a Hubbard fan, but I enjoyed reading "Battlefield Earth".
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I dunno. I read Hubbard's Fear and hated it. Then, ten years or so later, I suspected my impressions might have been colored by his crackpot beliefs/clever business, so I tried Fear again, with fresh eyes. It remained awful.

I did at some point also try The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, book 1) and it was similarly terrible.

The fact that Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke and Heinlein still have fans but for the most part Hubbard does not isn't completely due to Scientology. I suspect that if it weren't for Dianetics, his reputation would be at about the level of Doc Smith, if he was lucky.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-10-2015 at 02:37 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, Hubbard was a "mid range" author. A comparison with Smith is very apt. As I said, I think "Battlefield Earth" is a damn good book.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
As I said, I think "Battlefield Earth" is a damn good book.
Are there any shorter works by him you would recommend, maybe to work my way up? I wouldn't mind trying once again, but based on my previous experiences with him, I have a hard time wanting to dive into that door-stopper.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #54
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
This explains so much...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sure, Hubbard was a "mid range" author. A comparison with Smith is very apt.
Dunno. Smith is historically significant to the whole field of SF.
For both SKYLARK and LENSMEN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._...riting_Skylark

Hubbard wasn't even significant in his own time.
If it weren't for his other activities he'd be L. Ron Who? by now.

But mileage does vary.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dunno. Smith is historically significant to the whole field of SF.
For both SKYLARK and LENSMEN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._...riting_Skylark

Hubbard wasn't even significant in his own time.
If it weren't for his other activities he'd be L. Ron Who? by now.

But mileage does vary.
And different writers having different styles catch the eye of different readers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And different writers having different styles catch the eye of different readers.
Indeed.
Samuel Delany is one of the better (and more significant) authors of the 60's but I just can't get into his style. I keep trying to read Dahlgren and I keep bouncing off. I just get no traction.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This explains so much...
Can you explain exactly what you mean by that comment, please?