Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have always looked to the Chinese to offer low cost knock offs of american electronics at a fraction of the cost. I have not found Indian companies as good at the process of reverse engineering any product, copying it then selling the knock off at a fraction of the original's price. The Chinese are masters at this process however the Indians have bit had as much success. Guess I will go look for a Chinese knock off of the major ebook readers.
The problem is that most Chinese workers now make upwards of US$500 per month, so the days of producing ultra-cheap knock-offs are numbered. Some of these were produced during periods when the factories had little or no orders and they just wanted to keep their workers doing something. Now that the situation has become permanent such factories are closing down in droves, nobody can sustain a money losing business indefinitely.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Sure, I remember everybody getting headaches from looking at the screen all day at work. Hardware companies coming up with all kinds of "glare filters" to make it more tolerable.
That was more a issue with CRT monitors refresh rate flicker rather than resolution size. You needed to adjust a CRT monitor's refresh rate as resolution increased. This did reduce flicker but did not eliminate it.

I remember the glare filters on CRT's. Used them for many years before changeover to LCD.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #18
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I miss my Atari 800XL.

And it sure was worth more than $20 back in the days.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post

And it sure was worth more than $20 back in the days.
Actually, I got lucky. I guy in my barracks was getting transferred and he wanted to get rid of it. I took it off his hands along with an external 5 1/4 floppy drive for $50.

Anyway, enough about that. I don't want to get accused of getting too far off topic.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Just remember that most of the Indian population earn a fraction of what we earn. So $25 USD is going to be about as much as an iPad to us in comparison.

If this tablet, knock-off or not, allows wider tablet ownership in India to become an actuality, then more power to it.
True things like income are relative. I remember seeing a documentary about the early movies where people were in an uproar because the cost of admission had risen from a nickle to a dime. Of course the average income was smaller for the common man on the street back then too. And old catalog reprints list the cost of a book (Sears and Robuck) at around $1.00 for them, not to mention other things. And I imagine some people found those prices a bit steep to afford back in the day too. So I can see a $25.00 ereader as being an expensive item in some parts of the world. I paid $139.00 for my first Kindle Keyboard and I wager people in other parts of the world would think of that as being equivalent to spending several $1000.00 bucks.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
More power to them.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote