Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Questions about undemo-ing a Kindle DX graphite

I finally got my USB-to-TTL adapter and I had a helluva time figuring out which wire goes to which plate (I have it set, going from 1-4 as: 5V, TX, RX, Ground).

With that done... I found myself lost. Sir Alex's KindleDiagnosticTool wouldn't load. Freescale's ATK v1.67 gave me a "can't load USB" error. I figured this is because I'm running Win7 64-bit, so I'm in the process of installing Virtual Windows PC right now and see if it works there.

I tried following the steps in the K3noobdebrickATK guide, but found I couldn't get into bootstrap mode (I know the steps are hold power for 30 seconds, press volume -, release power, release volume -, but all it did was reboot my demo unit). I also referenced stangri's guide for undemo-ing a DXG, but find there are too many "in-between" steps missing for me to be able to follow.

Seeing as how I'm having such a hard time with this, I'd like to put together a guide to help others in the same boat as I am... but I have to get through it myself first! I have one more demo DXG to undemo after this one, so once I've got it done, I'll do a step-by-step picture guide with the 2nd one.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to proceed with this, in the simplest terms you can manage? So far, I need to know:

1. Did I set up my connectors in the serial port correctly?
2. How do I get into bootstrap mode (or is bootloader mode?)?
3. What's the next step after I get ATK to recognize the DXG? Get the root password? How do I do that?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I can't help much with the DX specific stuff, but the others ...
1) Do not make a "power" connection to the Kindle, use only a three wire connection, Tx, Rx and Gnd. If your adapter isn't powered from the USB side, then you will have to provide it with another 1.8volt source. Also, the Kindle is low voltage ttl (1.8volt) not 5 volt.

2) For the DX, getting into "downloader mode" (required for ATK) is unknown here.

1) + 2) Do not expect the ATK to work over the DX's serial port - the DX's serial port in "downloader mode" runs at 57500 with 2 stop bits - which isn't supported by the current (v1.72) ATK - - That is an i.MX31 only thing, all others are 115000 with 1 stop bit.

3) The ATK communicates with a command processor burned into the SoC rom.
It uses that to download some control files and a command processor with more features into ram.
That command processor has the ability to initialize additional (off-SoC) hardware, such as the flash storage media and copy those contents over to the machine running the ATK application (the "dump" function).

There is no "password" involved in the above process, the Kindle's operating system is not running, not even its boot-loader or boot-monitor. Only the client side, command processor.

- - - -

To determine if (1) is correct:
bring up a terminal emulator,
connected to the USB port of your adapter,
(you will be talking first to the bootloader and then the kernel, those are 115000,8,n,1 - only the i.MX31 downloader mode is 57500,8,n,2),
now just do a "normal" re-boot of the DX,
You should be greeted by first the U-Boot messages and then the Kernel console messages.

Once that is confirmed, (and the terminal settings changed to match the slower downloader mode), you are off to discover the "magic key" needed in (2) above.
Please let us know when you find it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi again. remember https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190000 as indicated in there you can't use the k3 or KT debricking methods...

now: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190149 that could help you.

Also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=6339 is in the process of undertaking this procedure ( so bumping heads with him might not hurt)

Quote:
(Geekmaster) You need to copy a firmware image from a normal kindle DX to your demo, using the serial port debricking method.

We need to discover how to get it into USB downloader mode before we can use the simple debricking method (flashing over USB).
So assuming you have this image then happy days. Please don't request one via the forum of course. : ) Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 09-18-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added. DO NOT ASK!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A hypothetical question

I DO have one question for the "general masses".

It is CLEARLY EXTREMELY important that one backs up the relevant areas to restore a DX after it bricks.

and to this end I backed up my own device (pictured)

If I was to purchase a new DX unit with demo on... would simply flashing (VIA SERIAL) the part1.bin be enough to fix it? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Remember: These are all my files, my devices, and I'm asking a hypothetical question.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_083.png
Views:	352
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	92543  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We should maybe release a shell script that people could use to run that set of commands that you used. (I suggested them, twobob risked his DX(G) to run them.)

Maybe even write a revised version of the mmg mtdblock howto telling people how to "fake" a mtdblock device with 9 partitions using 9 file images.

Perhaps even tell them what is inside of all those files.
All of which is allowable on a USA hosted/owned web-site.

All good extensions to the HowTo stuff on mmg as a new "Amazon HowTo" structure.
Rather than have it get lost in mr's prefix index.

I'll stick a top level "Amazon HowTo" structure page into the menu system today (an admin-only action) and just let it sit there until someone takes a notion to add some information to it (editors can add/revise the structure, members can add/revise the content, non-members can always view the info).

My only question: when will we find the time between now and when all the DX machines are dead on the scrap heap?

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
twobob

You know. I thought this as well.. and so I went off to see if Amazon had indicated they were "scrap heap fodder" yet.

I personally suspect that they make a good 4 or 5 hundred % profit on those device - where the others are (comparatively) loss-leading devices.

So, I think the DX will "outlive" the cheaper devices in terms of Amazon love - because they are a cash cow.

: )

Happy to write up those scripts now we can confirm they are "safe to run"

(NB. Don't run them with no space on the device, DUH, and NO not even I did that)

Cheers mate!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Its ready (and empty)
Anonymous can find it as: NavBar -> Sections -> Wiki -> Kindle HowTo
The direct link:
http://minimodding.com/Kindle+HowTo

Any "Editor" can modify the structure, that was just my first guess based on this discussion thread.

Any "Registered" (when logged in) can modify the (empty) page contents.

Any "Editor" can attach files.

Any "Registered" can attach comments.

Note: Features may change without notice, we are still in "SetUp and Test" mode.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Vol- is the "magic key" for the k3. We do not know what the DXG uses for that function. Until we do, the serial port method is required, and it does not use USB downloader mode (so no magic key).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Vol- is the "magic key" for the k3. We do not know what the DXG uses for that function. Until we do, the serial port method is required, and it does not use USB downloader mode (so no magic key).
The serial port method described here does not use the "magic key".

BUT the ATK can talk to the download mode loader over the serial port as well as the USB port.
The i.ROM code scans both, and uses the first that shows activity.

With the (not yet fixed) gotcha about the current ATK and the i.MX31 devices.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The serial port method described here does not use the "magic key".

BUT the ATK can talk to the download mode loader over the serial port as well as the USB port.
The i.ROM code scans both, and uses the first that shows activity.

With the (not yet fixed) gotcha about the current ATK and the i.MX31 devices.
Has anyone tested using ATK over USB on a DX or DXG yet? No magic key needed could explain why we did not find one.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Has anyone tested using ATK over USB on a DX or DXG yet? No magic key needed could explain why we did not find one.
I must not have been clear, let me try again:

Magic Key:
Required to cause the Freescale SoC to enter its i.ROM downloader code mode.

Serial Port Recovery:
As documented on Mobileread, does not involve the downloader code mode.

ATK (and K3Flasher):
Communicates with the Freescale SoC "client" i.ROM downloader code.

The more likely reason the key has not been found -
The i.MX31 sets up its serial port at 57500,8,n,2 not 115000,8,n,1
(and the current (v-1.72) ATK can not setup serial coms with 2 stop bits).
(and the current K3Flasher has not (yet) been updated with the CFS (command file sequence) for initializing the DX(G) )

None of which prohibits someone from writing/reading a string of bytes to the serial port adapter under Linux (and probably MacOSx - windows ??).
A simple little send/expect script should be enough under *nix.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

and to this end I backed up my own device (pictured)
Note to the casual reader -
That list of files does not include the "user storage" partition.

Which was intentional, the user can back-up the "user storage" partition over the stock USB connection.

The only "trick" in the process is knowing where to write the copies so that you don't damage the "user storage" file system.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some more info (and questions):

I was able to run SirAlex's kindlediagnostictool while plugged in through the USB port. I now have the serial and recovery password (Finally, a victory!!!... I think).

I've set up my serial connections according to stranger_st's post here, although I did pull the 5V cable out on knc1's recommendation (BTW, I have the same USB-to-TTL adapter that is pictured in that post). However, I seem to be having trouble communicating with the DXG:

In Windows 7 (64-bit): Detected as Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port. Cannot connect through ATK ("No USB detected" error").

In Virtualized Win XP (32-bit): Detected as USB-Serial Controller but the drivers found by Windows don't work. Running the .bat file located in C:/Program Files/Freescale/windriver doesn't work. ATK gives the same error as above.

In VirtualBox Ubuntu (32-bit): Doesn't appear to be detected (but I don't really know my way around linux so well). Tried running "fdisk -l" in a terminal window but nothing shows up (running "dmesg" gave me a long and discouraging output that I couldn't make heads or tails out of).

The big question is: which OS do I need to be using for this project? Obviously, I'm more comfortable in the Windows environment, but I'll work in linux if someone holds my hand through it.

One thing I have managed to do is get into recovery mode by holding Power until screen flashes, then holding Home until a message appears asking if I want to reset the device (I type "R E S E T" to get to the Recovery screen). After getting to the recovery screen, I hit the "E 3" button and then entered my recover password from earlier: fiona**** (having little experience with kindles, I assumed that you have to hold "alt" to enter numbers instead of letter). Entering the password seems to have no effect (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Another thing I though I should mention are the threads I've been referencing to figure out how to do this (seemingly impossible) task:

Stangri's [K3]+[DXG] Un-demo information

stranger_st's post in HELP: Technical assistance unbricking a Kindle DX Graphite

ebs's Kindle DX serial console

So that's basically where I'm at and I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I've set up my serial connections according to stranger_st's post here, although I did pull the 5V cable out on knc1's recommendation (BTW, I have the same USB-to-TTL adapter that is pictured in that post). However, I seem to be having trouble communicating with the DXG:
Would you please post --name/rank/serial number-- ah, Make and Model at least.
What little I can see in that picture, it looks like one that can be optioned for either 3.3volt or 5volt ttl levels.
The Kindles are neither, they are 1.8volt ttl.

You may have just tested if the serial i/o port is 3.3 (5.0) volt tolerant.
I would not expect them to be, since the Freescale has different output drivers for 1.8 and 3.3 volt on its UART ports.

With the Make and Model (even better, a link to the part page) I could say more specifically what the situation is.

Note the two different serial configurations used by the i.MX31 devices:
Downloader mode: 57500,8,n,2
U-Boot & Linux console: 115000,8,n,1

The ATK application **may** only do serial I/O to **com** ports, if your USB-to-serial adapter does not have a driver to map a USB serial port to a **com** port - check at the vendor's site for that sort of driver.

Under Linux (any *nix) a "character device" is a "character device" is a "character device" is a ...
(Well, you get the idea.)

You would be much better off running a Linux LiveCD than dealing with passing USB devices into and outof a VM instance.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
twobob

dmesg | grep usb

will dig through that lot for you from dmesg...

I haven't actually debricked one yet so...

Win 7 64 bit... probably a signed driver issue. that is a total guess but I would think 64 bit windows was a poor choice - It's probably a driver issue in Win

*throw rocks now*

Windows XP Virtualized - hmm I dont recall much about the few times I played with this but more or less I recall it living in a "wrapper" - again I would have to think this is a poor choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu
The point of the serial port is for recovering, so if you can access it before linux boots up
err... so I don't know why you would need a password. but I'm probably wrong... see next comment by niluje

Like I stated - I never actually did this...

I assume you have minicom installed.
In fact I wont assume that...

Here's a video that is actually for a 3 but he uses the serial cable in linux

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=1

Watch that...

Here's a translation of that video actions in English by me (thanks GM for corrections)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=22

I don't know if that will help you but I do know how frustrating it is to have all the tools and no answers.

So there you go - an answer. not from someone who knows anything... but meh. you never know.

HOPE YOU GET IT SORTED!

Last edited by twobob; 09-18-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I was wrong - again - YAY!!!