Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #121
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm surprised at how many people who voted that's it's a deal breaker have bought Nook Colors or Kindle Fires.
The Nook Color has a microSD card slot... In fact, it allows you dual-boot the device without having to root or unlock the bootloader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #122
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I'm surprised at how many people who voted that's it's a deal breaker have bought Nook Colors or Kindle Fires.
Probably they got burned the last time, now they know how important it is.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #123
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Removing the SD card slot is taking a huge step backwards no doubt. How about two or even three micro-SDHC card slots? That would be moving forward...
A huge step forward for Apple and Google on the road to ripping us off (a slot adds less than 2 dollars to the cost, but forces us to stay in the cloud or buy their accessories.) A giant leap backwards for user.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #124
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Some of you guys make me feel so tech-illiterate. My Kobo has an SD slot but I am nowhere near to where I would need one.

My tablet, an Acer Iconia Tab, has an SD slot that I may or may not need at some point. It also has a USB port, which I have used for my flash drive and my MP3 player. I am glad to have that because, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to transfer music and podcasts to my MP3.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #125
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The Nook Color has a microSD card slot... In fact, it allows you dual-boot the device without having to root or unlock the bootloader.
Yep, the NC is rated for a 32GB SDHC but has been reported working with 64GB SDXC. Flashing the right custom ROM enables short-range bluetooth and USB host, too. It's holding up great for a device 2 or 3 generations behind--I'd still say it's a better value than the Kindle Fire.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #126
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Yep, the NC is rated for a 32GB SDHC but has been reported working with 64GB SDXC. Flashing the right custom ROM enables short-range bluetooth and USB host, too. It's holding up great for a device 2 or 3 generations behind--I'd still say it's a better value than the Kindle Fire.
Sorry, I wasn't aware that the NC had SD card support, I've edited my post. My point was that the KF doesn't have SD card support either.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #127
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Well, I am in the minority here. I have a N7 pre-ordered and the lack of an SD slot is not a problem as I once thought it would be, after spending time with my Fire. I have a 500GB GoFlex that is my preference for storing/streaming/sharing data amongst several devices.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the Nexus.
Is there a SharePoint app available for Android?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #128
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I would have preferred it with an SD slot, but the rest of the specs are impressing enough for the price for med to want to get it anyway.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #129
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At least, though, with Android the buyer has the choice: buy a tablet with an SD slot or without, the choice is yours. The tablet I have, for example, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, gives you an SD card and TV output for $50 more than the price of the Nexus.
The WiFi Samsung Galaxy tablet I have, and only because an over generous son wanted to surprise me and also (he said) stop me in my tracks from my usual course of over studying these things, also has a SD slot. I am not even sure it has a TV output though, since I have never thought about wanting one. At the time it cost twice the Nexus's price. (I was looking strongly at the Lenovo A1 at that time.)
I would have sent it back if it had not had the SD slot. I have been around long enough to know that it is important to have that extra storage. I usually carry 3 xD cards along with my Olympus camera, and have several SD cards for my feature phone's camera. Likewise I carry music and books on SD cards. They take hardly any room at all.

What I am waiting for now is Samsung to spin off a WiFi Galaxy Note "Touch" or increase the screen resolution on its WiFi Galaxy Player 5.0
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #130
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The lack of a SD card slot is a no-deal for me. I now have one device without an external SD card and I already miss it. And I hardly use the thing!

For me, it's not the ease of swapping of memory, but rather the extra space that is needed.

(and a 7" Wifi Galaxy Note would be a very tempting thing!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
(and a 7" Wifi Galaxy Note would be a very tempting thing!)
A 7" WiFi Galaxy Note, other than the lack of a Wacom touch screen, is basically the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #132
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At least, though, with Android the buyer has the choice: buy a tablet with an SD slot or without, the choice is yours. The tablet I have, for example, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, gives you an SD card and TV output for $50 more than the price of the Nexus.
That price difference is even less. Google charges $13 shipping for the Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 can be had with free shipping (Amazon) or no shipping (Best Buy pickup).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #133
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
a slot adds less than 2 dollars to the cost
If only that were true.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #134
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
If only that were true.
It is true. For the manufactoring cost.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #135
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
It is true. For the manufactoring cost.
Exactly, probably lower if they equip every single device with it. And nobody can tell me that there is not enough space in a device with a 7" screen.