Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post

At least, with a paper book, you get to hold a fresh book with a somewhat different form (different cover, thickness, font etc) in your hand after you are done with one.
You can change the font and linespacing on most readers, and with Epub you could easily change most of the other layout choices too (assuming it isn't infected with DRM). You could also switch from portrait to landscape mode on alternate books. For variations in weight you could add blobs of blu-tack to the back of it. For the cover, maybe you can get ones that will let you insert a picture in the front? Or buy some one-sheet stickers that you can print onto?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
No, because it is simply an instrument to read BOOKS which is the whole reason I got it. When I am no longer able to read books on it, then it will be replaced.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
No. I havn't a book that wasn't on my reader since I got it. If it was unreadable or lost I would replace it in a second; it's invaluable to me.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Do you get tired of using the same ebook reader after reading many books on it, and secretly yearn to get a different reader, just so you have something different to play with?

At least, with a paper book, you get to hold a fresh book with a somewhat different form (different cover, thickness, font etc) in your hand after you are done with one.
Actually, I just experienced this for the first time about 3 days ago. I actually missed having a garish scifi/fantasy covered hardcover book in my hands.

then I realized I was holding about 95 books in my hand and that nostalgia quickly disappeared
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No, I got the reader that fits ME.
The Hanlin V5 (PEZ,BBM) put the controls where I can use them, Single handed
I looked for a alternate, since Astak an has no stock (Not willing to import a non-US sold, device).
Besides a meltdown , only a 9:16 ratio e-ink (equivalent) screen, would entice me to switch. Not Color. Not touch.

I don't need annotations (a valid option for many). I don't need wireless.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Quote:
Do you get tired of using the same ebook reader after reading many books on it, and secretly yearn to get a different reader, just so you have something different to play with?

There are a lot of reasons that I prefer my e-reader over a paper book:

1. Weight - my e-reader is always the same weight no matter which book I am reading. Under the Dome by Stephen King weighs as much as Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson.

2. Space - the amount of space my e-reader takes up is the same whether I have 1 book on there or 1,000 books.

3. Smell - my e-reader always smells the same no matter which book I am reading. I have had times where my paper books smelled funky and I was sneezing quite a bit. Never a problem with my e-reader.

4. Magazines - now I don't have to purchase those cardboard magazine holders so I can put my magazines on my bookshelves. They fit just fine in my e-reader.

5. Gas - my closest bookstore is an hour away. I can purchase books on my e-reader from the comfort of my home.

6. Web links in books - I no longer need to put the book down, open up the computer and go to the link. I can do that within my e-reader.

I have found many more positives for my e-reader than paper books. I don't feel like I need a new computer for each new website I visit, I don't miss the space taken up by my book collection.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Never occured to me to be bored by reading different books on the same reader. Now I do have a bad case of techno-lust, so I'm sure that the ipad2 or one of those android slates will have me yearning again this year...but for now, my iPad is just fine for all my books.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
If you get tired of the same device, the remedy is simple. Just get several different covers for it.
You can also get a reader that can be turned upside down or 90 degrees, so you can change hands and/or positions you use to turn pages.
You should also get device that lets you change fonts, formatting, and even menu graphics easily (like my PocketBook does). Sometimes I read for a month on the same setting (Gentium font), other times I change font 3 times an hour (only to return to Gentium Book Basic).

On the other hand, when I read paper book nowadays, I am constantly annoyed how awkward it feels in my hands, how I have to use both hands to turn the page, how I have to wrestle with it so it isn't closing constantly, how can't I change font or formatting to something decent. Also my e-book reader doesn't have various funny smells like some library books used to have. And stains in library books ..., do *not* get me started on stains, and scribbled translations in English books from our non-English library ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you get tired of the same device, the remedy is simple. Just get several different covers for it.
Oh, one must be very careful about it.
After 2 years and 8 months the original cover on PRS-505 broke. I could not get the original anymore, so I bought Tuff-luv. Oy Vey. It was a bloody disaster. I have tried and tried and tried to get used to but after 2 weeks I gave up and threw it away.
It just happen that at the same time a very kind person on this forum contacted me that he has like a new original cover and brand new leather one and he sent it to me for FREE?!? (Remembrance day charity got triple donation from me last November).
When I received the covers I used the original only and it was like to be born again
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Nope.

My primary reader is a Palm OS PDA, and I have about 4,000 volumes on an SD card. I get differences because of formats. While my preference is to get HTML content and convert for Plucker, an open source offline HTML viewer for Palm devices, I also have content in MobiPocket, eReader, PDF, plain text, Word and RTF files, with corresponding software for viewing it. About the only thing I can't read "native" is ePub, but calibre converts that to Mobi quite nicely.

If I'm not on the PDA, chances are I use FBReader, an open source eBook viewer app that handles ePub, Mobi, Plucker and other things, and is available for Windows and Linux.

My interest is the content, not the tool used to view it, so once I've done the necessary customization to set things up as preferred, I simply read.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Oh, heavens, no. I went through a Sony 600, a Sony 300, an Irex DR800 to get to my PB360. They were all great readers, but I've discovered my PB360 is perfect.

I've got it tweaked the way I want it to be and since then, I haven't touched the settings. I turn it on and start reading or select a book to read. It. Just. Works.

As I happily use the buttons to page forward, or flip the reader to use with my left hand - I am oblivious to what the reader is doing. That's because it has "disappeared" and all I am concentrating on is my book.

Plus, it's small enough to fit into my purse/bag and with the cover, I can hold it with one hand with no discomfort anywhere I wish. It's great for those times when I'm waiting.

It's perfect - for me - and I truly hope that it lasts forever. Or, that Pocketbook keeps a stock of batteries for when I need to replace the one I have.

Heh. I'm like Goldilock! The PB360 is "just right"! :-)
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

When you have the 'perfect' reader for you, you don't get bored regardless of how many books you read on it. It reads what you want, no matter which format, it goes where you want, no matter which "store"......

Much like a marriage.......After 20 yrs there is still no desire for a different mate, no matter how many times we've.........read.......to each other......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
dreamweaver
dreamweaver is on a distinguished road

Device: epub
i.ve used a Palm E2 with Mobi installed on it for a couple years before i got my slick reader and i love my reader but still take the Palm to work with me
dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When you have the 'perfect' reader for you, you don't get bored regardless of how many books you read on it. It reads what you want, no matter which format, it goes where you want, no matter which "store"......

Much like a marriage.......After 20 yrs there is still no desire for a different mate, no matter how many times we've.........read.......to each other......

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
To me, this is like asking if you are tired of editing documents on the same computer all the time. The ereader is a tool.

If you really want to read the same books on different devices, get a Kindle, and K4PC, and Kindle for Android, or iPhone, or iPad. Then you can read your books on different devices.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote