Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #151
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Banned Books would be better for August. I'd rather not have that for my birth month.
September. I'd be very happy reading banned books for my birth month.

Science Fiction for July
Nonfiction for August
Banned Books for September
Fantasy for October (which allows most horror to sneak in on technicalities)
Young Adult for November (which skews toward shorter books; easier on holiday schedules)
Free-for-All for December
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #152
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Science Fiction for July
Nonfiction for August
Young Adult for November (which skews toward shorter books; easier on holiday schedules)
Second
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #153
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

Science Fiction for July
Nonfiction for August
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Second
Third
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Science Fiction for July
Nonfiction for August
August is a summer month. We don't have time to do non-fiction in the summer. We don't want horror for October because the winners have all been old and crap. But because it's Modern Literature and something Horrorish does win, at least it might be decent because it's not old dull.

Science Fiction for July
Banned Books for August
Fantasy for September
Modern Literature for October (written in the past 10 years)
Non-Fiction for November
Young Adult for December

That is the list. We have to counter Classics and thus Modern Literature has to happen. We have to have non-fiction in November because it fits best there. September is my month and I want Fantasy. December can have Young Adult so we don't get the same problem as last December.

So there we go. The proper list.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #156
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a substitute teacher, August is the BEST time for Non-Fiction, as its after the summer vacation rush and teachers are usually still off from work. Plu, it might be fun to back up Science Fiction, with Scientific Fact!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As a substitute teacher, August is the BEST time for Non-Fiction, as its after the summer vacation rush and teachers are usually still off from work. Plu, it might be fun to back up Science Fiction, with Scientific Fact!
I find its better to have the bigger books when it's cold out. Then it's a good reason to stay in and read.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #158
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find its better to have the bigger books when it's cold out. Then it's a good reason to stay in and read.
Except there's no time to stay in and read. Besides...I'm in Florida...its cold (for us) NOW.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #159
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Except there's no time to stay in and read. Besides...I'm in Florida...its cold (for us) NOW.
(except I'm not in Florida...)
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm not in Florida and it is cold here now. But all the cold months (before spring) have already been taken.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #161
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Not for those in the Southern Hemisphere!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #162
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
BelleZora, if you're interested in discussing Lolita, perhaps you can make a thread in the main Reading Recommendations subforum and I'll join you there (maybe a few of the other pedophiles* would also be interested).
Excellent suggestion. However, I have a very sick daughter and my life goes from one crisis to the next so that I am hesitant to take any sort of initiative or make any commitment. I'm more comfortable just waiting for someone else to create that thread or make that nomination. Or not.

I'm grateful for MR, the book club, and the lifelong habit of reading. How wonderful to set our own difficulties and sorrows aside in the hours spent reading.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #163
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
BelleZora, if you're interested in discussing Lolita, perhaps you can make a thread in the main Reading Recommendations subforum and I'll join you there (maybe a few of the other pedophiles* would also be interested).
I would agree with BelleZora that a special thread could be a possibility--though I can certainly understand why s/he might not find time to make a commitment now.

An alternative would be to nominate it for the Literary Club where it certainly fulfills the requirements of being a literary masterpiece. I suspect that it would have a good chance of being chosen.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #164
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
An alternative would be to nominate it for the Literary Club where it certainly fulfills the requirements of being a literary masterpiece. I suspect that it would have a good chance of being chosen.
Good suggestion.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #165
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I agree also. Presumably there isn't a rule about nominating a book in the Literary Book Club when it has recently been nominated in the regular Club?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote