Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Can't figure this out, HELP!

I have a 211 page PDF ebook that I am trying to convert into .mobi. I am using Calibre for the conversion however, when I import it into Calibre and then use the convert feature, I open the document and it only shows 2 pages. I have opened this same document up in Adobe Reader and again, it shows 211 pages, but I only get two pages upon conversion. Can someone tell me why this happening? Other than the cover, there are no images, the content is text. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
The most obvious cause of your problem is that you have an image pdf rather than a text pdf. As you probably know, there are two types of pdf files, the first has been created from a set of images of text (and figure images), like photographs of the pages of a book - this is an image pdf. The other type has been created from a text file, such as when you write something in MS Word and save it as a pdf if you have the proper sub-program for MS Word - this is a text pdf. If you can search/find a word or phrase in the pdf, then you have a text pdf; if it's not searchable then it's the other type. Thus, whether an image pdf or text pdf has nothing to do with whether there are images such as diagrams, figures, visible photographs, etc. but rather from what type of material the pdf file was created.

If having an image pdf is the cause of your problem, then you can't easily convert it. You first must convert all the pdf page images to text using an ocr program, and the resultant text errors that always occur from the ocr should be corrected. This procedure is very time consuming.

I suppose there could be other causes for your problem; perhaps the pdf file is copy protected in some way(?)

Bob

Last edited by bobcdy; 09-26-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typos, slight changes in text
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert