Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #61
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
epub

i bought a book on B&N and when i downloaded, it appeared in epub format, however i could not open it in adobe digital editions....
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #62
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
I'm a U.S. Citizen living in Costa Rica. I was dismayed to find I could not download a free book from Barnes & Noble because I don't live in the U.S. I do have a U.S. Miami/forwarding address and a U.S. Credit card but apparently they were able to tell my IP address was outside of the U.S. I wanted to download a free book prior to purchasing several ebooks from them as according to my research they were cheaper than the ebook suppliers I am currently buying from. What's with this? haven't had a problem buying from any others. [/I]
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
i bought a book on B&N and when i downloaded, it appeared in epub format, however i could not open it in adobe digital editions....
did it have a .epub extension? It likely was an .pdb (eReader) file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #64
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone bought one internationally?

Sorry to slightly change the topic, but has anyone received a nook internationally? If so has there been any issues?

My biggest concern would be being unable to register/activate the device and get firmware updates while not in the US (i.e. via the USB cable rather than 3g.)

I think we've already established you'll need a proxy or vpn and a forwarding service to get get the device and buy books from the B&N store.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #65
szymonunion
szymonunion began at the beginning.

fuzzy_dunlop,

should not be a problem - you can connect Nook via WiFi to AP started on laptop connected to LAN with running VPN software.

Regards,
PS. shipment date: Feb,1 Santa Claus will be late this(?) year...
szymonunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #66
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Has it actually been confirmed you can't activate from outside of US over WiFi?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #67
szymonunion

stangri.

good question - it should be able to activate over WiFi - it is just sending info through Internet.

Regards,
Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #68
cargun71
cargun71 began at the beginning.

Just got my nook! :)

Hi,

I ordered the nook, the very first weeks B&N announced. I placed the order from Istanbul, Turkey, with a UK credit card and have it delivered to my www.myus.com account. I had it reshipped via DHL & received it today at my Istanbul address, a few hours ago.

At the time of my order (October 29th) I didn't use any vpn or proxy, and as my card was a UK credit card, using a US issued card had no significance either. The only important thing, "at the time of my order", was the US shipping address.

Yet with my myus.com address I couldn't buy/download even the free books.
I now try to solve this via several methods.

I'm also glad that we can now use the B&N gift cards to purchase e-books. This will be handy.

By the way I loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Sorry to slightly change the topic, but has anyone received a nook internationally? If so has there been any issues?

My biggest concern would be being unable to register/activate the device and get firmware updates while not in the US (i.e. via the USB cable rather than 3g.)

I think we've already established you'll need a proxy or vpn and a forwarding service to get get the device and buy books from the B&N store.
cargun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #69
szymonunion

cargun71,

lucky you!

I just placed order from Warsaw,Poland. I used alwaysvpn, billing&shipping address one of the forwarders, my VISA credit card (issued in Poland) and it is OK!

Just waiting so long for N00k...

Regards,
PS. this weekend there will be update to 2.0 firmware.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #70
cargun71

firmware update

Good luck to you. And I hope the update runs smoothly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymonunion View Post
cargun71,

lucky you!

I just placed order from Warsaw,Poland. I used alwaysvpn, billing&shipping address one of the forwarders, my VISA credit card (issued in Poland) and it is OK!

Just waiting so long for N00k...

Regards,
PS. this weekend there will be update to 2.0 firmware.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #71
cargun71

Wifi connects & runs smoothly. The activation is OK via wifi. You can download already purchased files via wifi wherever you are.

Quote:
fuzzy_dunlop,

should not be a problem - you can connect Nook via WiFi to AP started on laptop connected to LAN with running VPN software.

Regards,
PS. shipment date: Feb,1 Santa Claus will be late this(?) year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Has it actually been confirmed you can't activate from outside of US over WiFi?
Quote:
stangri.

good question - it should be able to activate over WiFi - it is just sending info through Internet.

Regards,
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #72
BigHeadDog
BigHeadDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Nook
few days ago i received my nook and i stay in singapore. since i am unable to download even the free ebooks from b&n so what i do is i use hotspot shield and managed to download the free ebook lol...
BigHeadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #73
cargun71

www.alwaysvpn.com go buy an $8 data minimum data package. Connect via secure vpn using their US IP. You are good to go, you can download free e-books and buy paid ones. You only need the vpn at the order stage, so you do not have to download via vpn and consume your data pack.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #74
yoonpy
yoonpy began at the beginning.

Yes, since I bought Kindle DX, I found that it can really be used internationally. Personally, I would like to recommend to everybody.

Kindle DX (U.S. edition) is coming with 9.7″ display 16 shades of gray scale screen which Amazon calls it e-ink screen, PDF supported, auto rotating screen, 3G wireless for e-book buying from kindle store.

The interesting website that I think it is quite useful if someone wants to find out more is http://www.tablettweet.com/category/e-book-readers/
yoonpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #75
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

I've been struggling to make connection thru AlwaysVPN work right on the nook for the past couple days, but the openvpn build I've got is finicky (it does establish connection to alwaysvpn, but can't maintain it). Hopefully something will come out of it eventually.

Or you can always get kindle and pay surcharge for pretty much everything you do with it while abroad.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas