Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Spankypoo
Enthusiast
Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Myriad
Paperwhite: Independent control of 3G and Wi-Fi?

Does anyone know if we'll finally be able to control the two independently? (Leaving only Wi-Fi on at home, and only 3G whilst traveling.)

I called Amazon and all I got was, "you'll never be able to turn 3G off. Just Wi-Fi." He insisted that under no circumstances would there ever be a way to turn the 3G radio off, so he was clearly out of his depth.

Anyone have any better information?
Spankypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Kindle with 3G + wifi already does exactly what you want automatically. When the Kindle connects to a wifi network the 3G turns off, ie. when you connect to your home wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
For Kindle Touch models that include Free 3G, wireless connectivity is automatic (with no monthly fees or annual contracts) so if you see one of the 3G network indicators (3G, EDGE, or GPRS) in the upper right corner of your Kindle Touch screen, your Kindle Touch is already connected wirelessly using 3G. Your Kindle Touch automatically turns 3G coverage off when you connect using Wi-Fi. If you disconnect from a Wi-Fi network or if you move out of Wi-Fi range, Kindle Touch automatically switches back to 3G coverage. If you want to turn off 3G coverage, you can turn wireless off. Keep in mind that turning wireless off also disables Wi-Fi connections.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
This is lesser known because it probably doesn't come up often, but the Kindle will also switch from wifi to 3G if the wifi network doesn't have internet connectivity.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All 3G Kindles work this way, so there's no reason to think that the PW will behave differently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Spankypoo
Enthusiast
Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Myriad
Thanks for the responses, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Kindle with 3G + wifi already does exactly what you want automatically. When the Kindle connects to a wifi network the 3G turns off, ie. when you connect to your home wifi.
Any idea then why the standby battery life on my K3 Wi-Fi been far better than that of my K3 3G?
Spankypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankypoo View Post
Thanks for the responses, all.

Any idea then why the standby battery life on my K3 Wi-Fi been far better than that of my K3 3G?
Probably because when wireless/3G is connected more power gets used. When there is no wireless Internet available the 3G will kick in automatically and continue to use power. With the wifi kindle if there is no wireless to connect to it doesn't connect to anything so saves power.

Keeping wireless on uses quite a bit of power that's why it's recommended to switch it off when u aren't using it.

I've currently got a 3G kindle but am considering upgrading to the paperwhite (wifi). The 3G is a cool feature but I'm not sure it's worth the extra 50/60 bucks.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I prefer the 3G version, but I never leave it on. It is only on while shopping or while my blog/newspaper subscriptions download. Then I switch it off. I enjoy the extra convenience, especially while traveling.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I leave wireless on all the time with my KT 3G+wifi. The battery drains faster, but I don't mind plugging it in every few days when I'm not reading. I've never had to stop or forgo reading to charge it up. The idea of using a Kindle without wireless on is baffling to me. Who can do without wikipedia lookup? What if you can't Report Content Error, or translate a German phrase right there and then? And when it is asleep wireless is not on continuously. So I just don't see the down side, unless you have wifi only and you are not in wifi coverage, then it makes total sense to turn it off.

At least from initial reports KPW has better power management (or more battery capacity or something). So if anything you should be able to afford to leave it on more.

Apparently they have buried the wireless switch in the Settings (as with K4). It's not on every menu as it used to be. So some people may find that inconvenient.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote